Contribute
Register

SL (10.6.4) & ML (10.8) dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Katie

Do you still have the GFX Nvidia 8600 card and can you swap out the gT640 FOR the old card and see if SL will boot.
TIA

I put back the stock asus nvidia 8600, boot up with iBoot GE=Yes, booted into SL fine. whereas with the gt 640, i get a KP doing just the same thing. so most likely the gt 640 is causing the KP......

kate

Kattie

I would isolate the issue to just work on the OSX 10.6 problem - and set the system back to before you had the new video card and SSD. (remove hardware)

Also if you have the older install software iBoot / MultiBeast - it maybe better to re-visit the install method and tools that were used to get the system running.
If you have the older iBoot CD can you boot from that and select the hack HD and see if you can boot from that - you may also want to use some
command line switches like safe mode.

Of course if you have a spare "clean" HD you could try a Fresh install using older methods and see what worked - then restore to it from the non working drive.

In my scenario I have a SL disk as the first boot drive - a ML disk as the second HD and a W7 HD as the third drive - so when the system boots up it reads the SL disk first - I interrup the auto boot process( space bar) and select the drive I want to boot from.

Best of luck.

I noticed....u have the nvidia 9600 GT......that works with ML? how did you make it to work?

I have the 8600 GT but occasionally when booting up ML, I get blank screen. That's why I purchased the new GT 6400 to work with ML which has been working excellently but didn't find out that it doesn't do SL......ruined my plan of dual boot SL & ML. Unless the 9600 GT is compatible with ML but not the 8600 GT.

kate

I noticed....u have the nvidia 9600 GT......that works with ML? how did you make it to work?

I have the 8600 GT but occasionally when booting up ML, I get blank screen. That's why I purchased the new GT 6400 to work with ML which has been working excellently but didn't find out that it doesn't do SL......ruined my plan of dual boot SL & ML. Unless the 9600 GT is compatible with ML but not the 8600 GT.

kate

kate

As to my EVA 9600 this is one of the older 512MB units.... and as far as ML is has not been tested by me but it woks out of the box - w LION.
One issues between all the OSX versions have is that Apple drops support for older GFX cards between the versions of each OSX. So a card that works in OSX10.6 could not work in OSX ML 10.8. But one can use "cheats" to enable the support such as changing framebuffer or modding kexts and or using such tools as TonymacX86 NVEnabler and other items.

New Egg has some re- released nVidia 9XXX card that are supposed to work - or have been reported to work by the moderators .... if you look at their signature file for this card -
As these cards are old you may need to look a ebay for potential finds.
One thing is that the 9600 GSO was reported to have issues w Mac OSX - some were made w G94 and / or G92 - yet the other 9600 cards like the 9600GS / 9600GT are ok - something up w the chipset or the ram I think - could be something as easy as getting the device ID and adding it to a kext. Another potetial nVidia card could be the GTS 240/250 which have that same GFX chip - G96 as do the higher 9800GT GTX GTX+ cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130534

is one that I think could work - suggest a post in the forum ON OSX 10.8 Desktop Support - for hardware support to see if you get a response as not many mod's read this forum much due to the Apple 10.6 OS age....all the action has moved to 10.8 so to speak...

Another alternative would be this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130788
this is the newer GF119 nvidia chip -

Another potential would be the GF108 nVidia Chip which
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130808

But if you look at this link - http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/wiki/index.php?title=Graphics_Card_Database
You can get an idea of several GFX cards that could work w OSX 10.6 and LION or ML ...
You could also search the old Legacy site for info on GFC card that have worked on both OS's

One note is that any video card you get should have two DVI ports as video out on any 15 pin VGA will generally not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back