Contribute
Register

SL (10.6.4) & ML (10.8) dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
the strange thing was when I booted up my ML, i saw a com.apple.boot.plist file in the 'trash'. I opened it up and looks like it could be from SL....I think. If it's indeed from SL, not sure how it got in there.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

or is that standard com.apple.boot.plist for any version of MAC OS?

kate
definitely a SL boot.plist. the arch-i386 is a dead giveaway.

If you are able to boot with the iBoot CD, select the OS X icon and get to desktop, then reinstall Chimera, either from MultiBeast or use the stand alone installer. Then put CD in protective case and push to back of drawer for next time.

I have another issue here.

First of all, I updated my video card to EVGA GeForce GT 640 to work natively with my ML which works GREAT!!!

2ndly, stupid of me I threw the com.apple.boot.plist back into my /Extra folder of my SL and reboot with iBoot CD in. I tried different boot methods:
1) with SL HDD (with iBoot Cd) plus all other HDDS
2) with ONLY SL HDD (with iBoot CD)
3) with ML SSD and at Chimera select SL HDD
repeated 1-3 after removing the 'com.apple.boot.plist'

but ALL methods resulted in 'Restart' kernel panic below.

So I am not sure of the cause, if it's because of the new video card or because of the com.apple.boot.plist.

Should I try to boot up with iBoot and using GraphicsEnabler=Yes?

what can I do?

Thanx.

kate

Attachments

• TS3742_01_KP-001-en.jpg
    TS3742_01_KP-001-en.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 82
I have another issue here.

First of all, I updated my video card to EVGA GeForce GT 640 to work natively with my ML which works GREAT!!!

2ndly, stupid of me I threw the com.apple.boot.plist back into my /Extra folder of my SL and reboot with iBoot CD in. I tried different boot methods:
1) with SL HDD (with iBoot Cd) plus all other HDDS
2) with ONLY SL HDD (with iBoot CD)
3) with ML SSD and at Chimera select SL HDD
repeated 1-3 after removing the 'com.apple.boot.plist'

but ALL methods resulted in 'Restart' kernel panic below.

So I am not sure of the cause, if it's because of the new video card or because of the com.apple.boot.plist.

Should I try to boot up with iBoot and using GraphicsEnabler=Yes?

what can I do?

Thanx.

kate

GeForce GT 640 is not compatible with SL. You should boot with GraphicsEnabler=No.

Chimera is booting taking in account "org.chameleon.boot.plist" situated in /Extra on boot drive or CD.
(when booting from CD, "org.chameleon.boot.plist" situated in SL or ML are ignored).

I already explained that you were probably using an old version of Chameleon (or Chimera). At this period, they were using the standard apple boot plist "com.apple.boot.plist" instead of the new fashion "org.chameleon.boot.plist".
"com.apple.boot.plist" is situated in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ (/Bibliothèque/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/)
It should be renamed "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" and placed in /Extra (or you make a copy paste on the old content in the new one).
In additon you should modify your boot option to GraphicsEnabler=No.
With those changes, it should boot from SL HDD.

If you boot from CD, you should enter the option "GraphicsEnabler=No" at boot otherwise SL will stop on a grey screen or give a kernel panic.

GeForce GT 640 is not compatible with SL. You should boot with GraphicsEnabler=No.

Chimera is booting taking in account "org.chameleon.boot.plist" situated in /Extra on boot drive or CD.
(when booting from CD, "org.chameleon.boot.plist" situated in SL or ML are ignored).

I already explained that you were probably using an old version of Chameleon (or Chimera). At this period, they were using the standard apple boot plist "com.apple.boot.plist" instead of the new fashion "org.chameleon.boot.plist".
"com.apple.boot.plist" is situated in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ (/Bibliothèque/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/)
It should be renamed "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" and placed in /Extra (or you make a copy paste on the old content in the new one).
In additon you should modify your boot option to GraphicsEnabler=No.
With those changes, it should boot from SL HDD.

If you boot from CD, you should enter the option "GraphicsEnabler=No" at boot otherwise SL will stop on a grey screen or give a kernel panic.

thank you for responding. at least now I know another troubleshoot method I can try.

YES INDEED you are absolutely right. It's an old chameleon bootloader from a few years back when i first installed SL.

after renaming and copy my SL com.apple.boot.plist (from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration) to org.chameleon.boot.plist and paste to /Extra of SL HDD, should i boot up with SL HDD or ML SSD or doesn't matter? (of course with GraphicsEnabler=No) with or without iBoot CD?

thanx.

kd

thank you for responding. at least now I know another troubleshoot method I can try.

YES INDEED you are absolutely right. It's an old chameleon bootloader from a few years back when i first installed SL.

after renaming and copy my SL com.apple.boot.plist (from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration) to org.chameleon.boot.plist and paste to /Extra of SL HDD, should i boot up with SL HDD or ML SSD or doesn't matter? (of course with GraphicsEnabler=No) with or without iBoot CD?

thanx.

kd

To try to boot from SL HDD, you should modify your boot file with GraphicsEnabler=No.
It should work if Chameleon is correctly installed on.
If not booting to menu, you can try to reinstall Chamelon from ML (might work depending of your HDD size)

If you are booting from CD, you should key the options, because it is reading only its boot file and not SL or ML one.

The last solution, is to boot from ML. To do that, you backup /extra of ML (renaming it) and you copy /extra from SL after GraphicsEnabler modification. You boot from SSD, and choose ML at menu.
After you reinstall Chameleon on SL, and repare ML (/extra restore)
DON'T DO THAT IF YOU HAVE NO WAY BACK to repare your ML (Linux boot or windows with driver to access to osx disks). If boot on SL fails, your ML will not boot anymore also and you are stuck.

To try to boot from SL HDD, you should modify your boot file with GraphicsEnabler=No.
It should work if Chameleon is correctly installed on.
If not booting to menu, you can try to reinstall Chamelon from ML (might work depending of your HDD size)

If you are booting from CD, you should key the options, because it is reading only its boot file and not SL or ML one.

The last solution, is to boot from ML. To do that, you backup /extra of ML (renaming it) and you copy /extra from SL after GraphicsEnabler modification. You boot from SSD, and choose ML at menu.
After you reinstall Chameleon on SL, and repare ML (/extra restore)
DON'T DO THAT IF YOU HAVE NO WAY BACK to repare your ML (Linux boot or windows with driver to access to osx disks). If boot on SL fails, your ML will not boot anymore also and you are stuck.

REALLY AT A LOST!!!!!

Tried several methods and still not succeeding in dual boot with SL and ML.

(1) boot with iBoot (GE=No), went into SL fine. reinstalled MultiBeast for SL. Checked /Extra/org.chameleon.boot.plist with textedit, GE=No....great!!! rebooted:
.....selected SL on chameleon bootscreen........hangs on white screen with apple.
......rebooted with iBoot then select SL.......KP
......as a test, rebooted with iBoot then select SL with GE=No and GE=Yes.....KP
......as a test, rebooted with ML then select SL on Chimera bootscreen........hangs on white screen with apple.

(2) boot with ML, NO PROBLEM. within ML, installed Multibeast for SL onto SL HDD......verified /Extra/org.chameleon.boot.plist in SL HDD, GE=No....great! rebooted
.......all same result as in (1)

(3) boot with ML, again no problem. within ML, installed Chimera 1.11.1 (the latest) into SL HDD......rebooted.
........all same results as in (1).

so, bottom line boot into ML 100% GREAT!!! but CANNOT boot into SL at all now......:( :~(

'sadly' katie

Katie

Do you still have the GFX Nvidia 8600 card and can you swap out the gT640 FOR the old card and see if SL will boot.
TIA

I don't understand if your goal is to start ML to export files and settings, booting with iboot is fine for you? Isn't it?

Anyway, my understandang is that you are able to boot from iboot in ML.
The boot file in iboot is the following:

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Rescan</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Normally it should boot from ML with the following procedure:
1/ rename /extra
2/ create new /extra
3/ create a new org.chameleon.boot.plist with this content:
(or use the file attached)

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v</string>
<string>No</string>
<key>Rescan</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

It should work... If not, take a picture of the screen after failure.
Bonne chance.
Marcel

Attachments

• org.chameleon.Boot.plist
    441 bytes · Views: 216
I don't understand if your goal is to start ML to export files and settings, booting with iboot is fine for you? Isn't it?

Anyway, my understandang is that you are able to boot from iboot in ML.
The boot file in iboot is the following:

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Rescan</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Normally it should boot from ML with the following procedure:
1/ rename /extra
2/ create new /extra
3/ create a new org.chameleon.boot.plist with this content:
(or use the file attached)

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v</string>
<string>No</string>
<key>Rescan</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

It should work... If not, take a picture of the screen after failure.
Bonne chance.
Marcel

LOL....I'm not sure if you misunderstood me!!!

originally, I have Snow Leopard on HDD for awhile and been working great. Recently I installed Mountain Leopard on an SSD. So I've been trying to see if I can dual boot into both, especially into Snow Leopard to back up some settings and files so i can transfer into Mountain Lion.

I used to have black screens booting into Mountain but that resolved after i updated my graphic card. I never had to boot into Mountain with iBoot

however, it's Snow that I always have to boot with iBoot because I have a hard time booting into Snow, however I did manage to boot into Snow one time. I reinstalled chamelion from Snow Multibeast, rebooted......nada! boot into Mountain and install chimera into my Snow HDD then reboot into Snow, still NADA!!!

Now no matter what I tried, I cannot boot into Snow. Either getting KP (usually with iBoot) or just hanged on the white screen with the gray apple. Whether using GE=Yes or No as a test.

NOW.....i recently changed my video card to an EVGA GeForce GT 640 and heard that one is not compatible with Snow. Maybe that's what the issue is.

kate

LOL....I'm not sure if you misunderstood me!!!

originally, I have Snow Leopard on HDD for awhile and been working great. Recently I installed Mountain Leopard on an SSD. So I've been trying to see if I can dual boot into both, especially into Snow Leopard to back up some settings and files so i can transfer into Mountain Lion.

I used to have black screens booting into Mountain but that resolved after i updated my graphic card. I never had to boot into Mountain with iBoot

however, it's Snow that I always have to boot with iBoot because I have a hard time booting into Snow, however I did manage to boot into Snow one time. I reinstalled chamelion from Snow Multibeast, rebooted......nada! boot into Mountain and install chimera into my Snow HDD then reboot into Snow, still NADA!!!

Now no matter what I tried, I cannot boot into Snow. Either getting KP (usually with iBoot) or just hanged on the white screen with the gray apple. Whether using GE=Yes or No as a test.

NOW.....i recently changed my video card to an EVGA GeForce GT 640 and heard that one is not compatible with Snow. Maybe that's what the issue is.

kate

Kattie

I would isolate the issue to just work on the OSX 10.6 problem - and set the system back to before you had the new video card and SSD. (remove hardware)

Also if you have the older install software iBoot / MultiBeast - it maybe better to re-visit the install method and tools that were used to get the system running.
If you have the older iBoot CD can you boot from that and select the hack HD and see if you can boot from that - you may also want to use some
command line switches like safe mode.

Of course if you have a spare "clean" HD you could try a Fresh install using older methods and see what worked - then restore to it from the non working drive.

In my scenario I have a SL disk as the first boot drive - a ML disk as the second HD and a W7 HD as the third drive - so when the system boots up it reads the SL disk first - I interrup the auto boot process( space bar) and select the drive I want to boot from.

Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back