Contribute
Register

Skylake + Thunderbolt + mATX build for music + photo = easy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z97 Gryphon
CPU
i7 4790K
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 750
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I'd like to build my first Hackintosh and I have a few questions.

Context

It's mostly for music production (Logic / Ableton) & photo processing (Lightroom).
My current setup is a 2015 Macbook Pro 13" i7 3.1Ghz, which I use at home in clamshell mode plugged into an OWC Thunderbolt Dock + a BenQ 4K monitor. Various USB devices + a Firewire audio interface (Ultralite mk3) + the 4K monitor (miniDP) plugged into the Thunderbolt dock.
Works like a charm but I really need more power at this point. The dual core rMBP13 struggles CPU-wise with audio+photo software, and probably even GPU wise driving the 4K monitor.
I have thought about getting a 15" Macbook Pro (I like the simplicity of 1 computer, but would lose the 13" portability), or a used Mac Pro, or a 5K iMac (but I'd have to get rid of my brand 4K monitor + thunderbolt dock, a bit stupid).
So it sounds like a hackintosh is the way to go. I also want a small (mATX), silent case.

Is Thunderbolt well supported ?

I'd really like to have Thunderbolt so I can just plug into my existing setup (OWC Thunderbolt dock) and have everything working as before. It also means I can get a pure TB audio interface in the future (UAD Apollo)
If that means too many other compromises though (lack of reliability, losing mATX) , I guess I could forget about TB and still drive the 4K monitor with just miniDP or DVI (or HDMI but not sure about 60fps), also my current audio interface can do USB2 in addition to FW (which the TB dock provided and I would lose)

I've read a scary bit in this thread : http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-ad...dware-software-z97x-motherboard-i7-4790k.html
However be aware that the Thunderbolt interfaces on boards like the Gigabyte Z97X-UD7-TH are immature and do not easily work well. Thunderbolt on a hack is still a new technology. Video does not work so forget about attaching your Apple monitor up, it isn’t going to happen. Forget about hot swappable disks, most don’t swap. At the time of writing this, you need to install Windows first to upload firmware to the Thunderbolt interface and then install OS X afterwards.

:( Is this still true ? Would this apply to a Skylake mobo as well ?
Is there any mobo that does Thunderbolt seamlessly ? A Skylake one ?

Is it definitely too early for Skylake still ?

Before Skylake I was going to go for a "Customac mATX" with an i4790K. Would it still make sense to go for that at all ?
I'm happy to tinker a little bit to get somewhere with Skylake, as long as I'm sure I can get everything to work within a couple of days (and I'm happy to get a known working mobo to achieve that).
Which brings me to :

Recommended Skylake + mATX + Thunderbolt board ?

Does such a thing even exist ? :)
I'd really like not to have a full sized tower case, I think it makes more sense to start with Skylake if buying now, and I'd really like to keep Thunderbolt.

Recommended GPU ?

I don't do gaming, if a modern integrated GPU is enough then I'll take that, however for driving a 4K display + some Lightroom work I suppose a discrete one is better ?

Thanks !

If you want easy go with a Z97m/4790K build or just buy a real Mac. Skylake is not ready for primetime yet, many are working on it but it is complex to fix all the current problems with compatibility.

One person has reported that his Apple Cinema display works with Thunderbolt. http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...4340-hd4600-thunderbolt-ex-ii.html#post842576

They used an Asus Thunderbolt EX II card with an Asus Z97 mobo. Take a look at the TB EX II testing thread to learn more about how well it works. The EX II does not work with all Asus Z97 mobos so check which ones do before buying a mATX board.

If you want easy go with the Z97X/4790K build or just buy a real Mac. Skylake is not ready for primetime yet, many are working on it but it is complex to fix all the current problems with compatibility.

One person has reported that his Apple Cinema display works with Thunderbolt. http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...4340-hd4600-thunderbolt-ex-ii.html#post842576

They used an Asus Thunderbolt EX II card with an Asus Z97 mobo. Take a look at the TB EX II testing thread to learn more about how well it works.

Thanks for the reply,

I kept reading after my post, and it looks like Skylake performance isn't exactly night & day compared to a 4790K. So I'll guess I'll stick to Z97 for now if that makes things easier.

What about Thunderbolt on Z97 though ? Will I always need an extra card like with that Asus mobo, or are there some mATX mobos that come with Thunderbolt, and are in the buyers guide ?

Thanks for the reply,

I kept reading after my post, and it looks like Skylake performance isn't exactly night & day compared to a 4790K. So I'll guess I'll stick to Z97 for now if that makes things easier.

What about Thunderbolt on Z97 though ? Will I always need an extra card like with that Asus mobo, or are there some mATX mobos that come with Thunderbolt, and are in the buyers guide ?

There are no Z97m boards that have TB that I know of. There used to be with the older IvyBridge mATX motherboards but it never really caught on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back