Contribute
Register

Skylake Thunderbolt 3 for Music Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
The TB-FW adapter is fine, it works (with the same disks) on my MacBook Pro. I also brought a Sonnet Echo Express III-D 3 slot TB2 to PCIe chassis from work. Mac only, probably. I will test tomorrow. I could put in a spare USB3 and/or Firewire PCIe card.

The Apple TB to FW adapter is seen in Windows, but there's a warning about it not being suitable for PC(and attached disks don't mount)

I just got that Startech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter and OSX does not recognize it. Windows recognizes the port and devices, but my devices only work with Max. Anyway doesn't work yet. Waiting for a mac to be released with a thunderbolt 3 port. Probably then it'll work?

I did some testing with the Sonnet Echo Express III-D, a TB2 to PCIe adapter with 3 PCIe slots, connected to the Startech TB3 to TB2 adapter. I've put a spare Inateck PCIe USB3 card in the Sonnet(known to work in Mac and PC)
To my surprise, attached USB drives mounted in Windows and were accessible, in spite of a warning about the Sonnet not being approved for Windows in the TB control panel. I could hot swap them without issues. I also tried a couple of USB thumb drives, these were also working. So I guess my Startech thingie is fine.

No luck in OSX, though. The drives wouldn't mount, I got errors about excessive power draw over USB, they were kicked of the iodevice tree, and a gazillion errors in the log about trying to switch USB powerstates(with associated heavy CPU load)

I also tried TB networking from Windows to my MacBook Pro. Didn't work. Not much info on how to do this properly(Mac to PC, that is) so I may have missed some crucial setting. Trying the normal(ethernet-style) network connection procedure didn't fix it.

Let's hope Apple will implement TB3 in the near future, in such a way that our Hacks will also benefit.

@DavidPye Does this mean if one was to buy the Z170X UD3 or UD5 Motherboard i could connect my UAD Apollo twin to it with no issues? This is the only reason holding me back and making me think of just buying a mac from the apple store so i dont keep having headaches!

@DavidPye Does this mean if one was to buy the Z170X UD3 or UD5 Motherboard i could connect my UAD Apollo twin to it with no issues? This is the only reason holding me back and making me think of just buying a mac from the apple store so i dont keep having headaches!

To be honest, I don't think anyone can say for sure as MacOS doesn't support TB3 at all right now, so what will work in future is anyone's guess.

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if I can build an hackintosh that would work with my Universal Audio Apollo 8p? It´s thunderbolt 2 connecter only. Any info about this?

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if I can build an hackintosh that would work with my Universal Audio Apollo 8p? It´s thunderbolt 2 connecter only. Any info about this?
Forum search is your friend. Use the model as search key word. IIRC there is a video on it somewhere in here.

To be honest, I don't think anyone can say for sure as MacOS doesn't support TB3 at all right now, so what will work in future is anyone's guess.

Well this thread has several examples of Thunderbolt 2 devices working fine with Thunderbolt 3 Hackintoshes in Mac OS X. Some of them are Apollo devices. I don't see a reason why some would work and others would not. In fact, I don't think there are any posts that confirm that any do not work.

I would be so hyped if it would worked with my apollo 8p. But I think I would wait for a while till someone confirm that it works with no problems. The last thing I want is that it will die in a session and my clients needs to wait for an reboot as the hotplugging does not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back