4. Plus
  5. Portable
  6. Power Mac
  7. PowerBook
  8. Quadra
  9. SE
  10. Xserve
Hi all,

I'm looking to build a Skylake i7 itx HTPC system. For surfing and video watching, not planning on doing any gaming. I do want to upgrade to a 4K display though.

I've been searching around the forums for a few hours looking for answers to my questions, but am not seeing a lot of posts on topic, so I thought I'd centralize and ask them here.

I've got a small Realan itx case that I plan to use, so a discrete GPU isn't an option. Here's what features I'm looking for. If someone could point me towards a guide that covers these features, or give me some advice on which mobo will work for my desired features, I'd appreciate it.

- skylake itx (Gigabyte or?)
- Bluetooth fully functional for external kbd and trackpad - 3rd party broadcom board is an OK solution (wifi not important)
- surround sound - either via optical or HDMI port
- 4k, 60hz out HDMI or USBC port
- HDMI hot saw/hot plug working without crashing (on my current Z97X build, I can't switch between sources on my receiver without crashing the PC, unless I use the DVI port, which means I can't use HDMI audio, and I don't think DVI supports 4K)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm looking to build a Skylake i7 itx HTPC system. For surfing and video watching, not planning on doing any gaming. I do want to upgrade to a 4K display though.

I've been searching around the forums for a few hours looking for answers to my questions, but am not seeing a lot of posts on topic, so I thought I'd centralize and ask them here.

I've got a small Realan itx case that I plan to use, so a discrete GPU isn't an option. Here's what features I'm looking for. If someone could point me towards a guide that covers these features, or give me some advice on which mobo will work for my desired features, I'd appreciate it.

- skylake itx (Gigabyte or?)
- Bluetooth fully functional for external kbd and trackpad - 3rd party broadcom board is an OK solution (wifi not important)
- surround sound - either via optical or HDMI port
- 4k, 60hz out HDMI or USBC port
- HDMI hot saw/hot plug working without crashing (on my current Z97X build, I can't switch between sources on my receiver without crashing the PC, unless I use the DVI port, which means I can't use HDMI audio, and I don't think DVI supports 4K)

Thanks!

Be careful about stuffing an i7 into a small case without much room for air circulation, you're likely to have heat issues. And you are correct, DVI does not support 4K.

Be careful about stuffing an i7 into a small case without much room for air circulation, you're likely to have heat issues. And you are correct, DVI does not support 4K.

I've already built an i7 Z97N-wifi system in one of the Realan cases. It runs little hot, but has otherwise been mostly stable. For this next one, I plan on using the lower wattage i7 as well.

thx!

I've already built an i7 Z97N-wifi system in one of the Realan cases. It runs little hot, but has otherwise been mostly stable. For this next one, I plan on using the lower wattage i7 as well.
thx!
You'll have to use a mini-itx with onboard DP to get 4K @60Hz. The main options you've got are by Asrock and Asus AFAIK. There is also one by MSI but I haven't seen any guides on the macOS install on that one. Ammulder has written a guide on an Asrock
Fatality Z170 ITX so check that guide out.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...e-skylake-fatal1ty-z170-gaming-itx-ac.180383/

Do some research to determine which one will meet your needs. Then you'll need to buy the DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter cable.
The one that works the best is the Club 3D DP to HDMI 2.0 cable. Make sure to buy the right one. Not all will work at 60 Hz.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017BQ8I54/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

This one looks like the best value of all the options. The gaming versions are very high priced in my opinion.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013WPZ7HK/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Once you factor in the adapter it's still close to $155 to get 4K @60Hz from an ITX system with onboard DP.

TRS 2016-11-06 at 10.44.14 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I've just perused that thread - it looks like it will somewhat work for me (wake/sleep functioning would be nice too ; )

Do you know if Intel530 has the same HDMI hot swap crash that Intel4600 has? Would I be able to avoid it by using the DP to HDMI adapter?

thx!

Thanks for the info. I've just perused that thread - it looks like it will somewhat work for me (wake/sleep functioning would be nice too ; )

Do you know if Intel530 has the same HDMI hot swap crash that Intel4600 has? Would I be able to avoid it by using the DP to HDMI adapter?

thx!
Have no idea about the hot swap crashing. Try asking in the graphics forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back