Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell 7573 (Opencore)
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD 620
I have a Dell 7568 with an i7-6500U CPU. I've followed RehabMan's Native Power Management post, and everything is is almost working perfectly. The one issue is I can't get the CPU clock/frequency to drop below 1.3 GHz, even when almost nothing else is running. The Intel specs for the 6500U show a minimum frequency of 800MHz. The faster clock is draining my batter faster than it should. Is there way to lower the minimum clock speed, or implement a more aggressive power management scheme when on battery. I attached a screenshot of the IPG and a PR.zip.

Attachments

• debug_5770.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 11.31.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 11.31.35 PM.png
    175.8 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Had this issue with my laptop - easy solved I found is using CPUFriendDataProvider.kext providing the idle setting to CPUFriend.kext (add this Lilu plugins to clover/kexts/other) - with that i went from 1.3 idle to 0.9
I think CPUFriendDataProvider.kext need to be builded for your rigs - share mine for testing but probably you will need to get or build your own
Found this information here (post 2917 and after):

Attachments

• CPUFriendDataProvider.kext.zip
    6.6 KB · Views: 96
Had this issue with my laptop - easy solved I found is using CPUFriendDataProvider.kext providing the idle setting to CPUFriend.kext (add this Lilu plugins to clover/kexts/other) - with that i went from 1.3 idle to 0.9
So it turns out the solution was even easier that that. Not sure if this is a good idea, but it seems to work well.

SSDT-XCPM.aml was already added to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched as part of following RehabMan's guide. I left it there.
In the CLOVER/config.plist:
  • I set Root/ACPI/SSDT/Generate/PluginType=No.
  • I added Root/CPU/HWPEnable=Yes.
  • I left SSDT, SSDT-XCPM, SSDT-PluginType1 still listed under Root/ACPI/DisabledAML as per RehabMan's original plist file.

That was it. I rebooted, and now I've seen the core frequency drop below 800MHz, and power consumption drop by an average of a Watt.

DISCLAIMER: I have no idea what other side effects there may be from disabling Root/ACPI/SSDT/Generate/PluginType. I'm hoping RehabMan weighs in to let us know if this will break anything else.

I set Root/ACPI/SSDT/Generate/PluginType=No.
On my laptop this setting disable CPU PM....
Have you check CPU PM is still working when set to No ? Is ioreg indicates X86PlatformPlugin stiil loaded with full cpupstates indication ?

On my laptop this setting disable CPU PM....
Have you check CPU PM is still working when set to No ? Is ioreg indicates X86PlatformPlugin stiil loaded with full cpupstates indication ?
Where exactly in IOReg would I look for the CPU states? I poked around a bit, but didn't find anything called cpustates or X85PlatformPlugin.

I have noticed that when the laptop resumes from sleep, the min clock frequency is 1GHz. I don't see it drop down where it was before.

Where exactly in IOReg would I look for the CPU states? I poked around a bit, but didn't find anything called cpustates or X85PlatformPlugin.
Use search X86PlatformPlugin (not X85) in IORegistryExplorer - if not loaded think CPU PM is not possible

Attachments

• ioreg.png
    ioreg.png
    135.1 KB · Views: 181
you can change LFM from your SMBIOS with FreqVectorEdit by Piker-Alpha, if your CPU not available on the setting, just add yours with data from ark intel... worked for me, my CPU is i3-6006U, lowest frequency mode at 400MHz but SMBIOS MacBookPro 13,2 only 1300MHz

Use search X86PlatformPlugin (not X85) in IORegistryExplorer - if not loaded think CPU PM is not possible
Sorry for the typo, favoriti. Yes, I searched for X86PlatformPlugin, and didn't find it. I'm guessing it wasn't loaded because I disabled plugins. Intel Power Gadget, however, is showing fluctuating clock frequencies, so I think HWP is working. I believe, but not sure, X86PlatformPlugin is of OS controlled PM vs HWP for CPU controlled PM. I think I might try Fuu's idea, though, since I'mm not sure what else disabling the plugin might break.

you can change LFM from your SMBIOS with FreqVectorEdit by Piker-Alpha, if your CPU not available on the setting, just add yours with data from ark intel... worked for me, my CPU is i3-6006U, lowest frequency mode at 400MHz but SMBIOS MacBookPro 13,2 only 1300MHz
Thanks, Fuu. I found my proc on ark.intel, but I don't see where it lists all the pstates. Also, I'm not sure how to "just add mine" once I do find the data. Is there a wiki or blog that describes the process?

I ran the freqVectorEdit.sh script from PikeRAlpha, restored the plugins and disabled CPU HPW in config.plist. The CPU will go lower than my original config, but I looks like HPW still gives me the best power savings. HWP compared to using plugin=1 + freqVectorEdit is almost the same, so with so little difference, I'm keeping the plugin enabled, and disabling HWP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back