Contribute
Register

Skylake compatibility and tips on parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-Gaming 5
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi, so this is the first hacking I want to build. I want to use the 6700k but I saw that os doesn't support it. I'm new to this website and I'm not really sure where exactly to find the answer for this. Also I believe I attached a pic of the parts I wish To buy. Be a real help if you could tell me if they'd work in the machine and give some tips. Thanks

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    348.3 KB · Views: 184
Thank You. Also I was looking into gpu's and i'm confused. I mostly do video/photo editing. I was first looking at the gtx 970. Then I read that amd gpu's are better for video editing while nvidia is best for gaming. I'm looking for something that is powerful yet under $450. Thanks

Thank You. Also I was looking into gpu's and i'm confused. I mostly do video/photo editing. I was first looking at the gtx 970. Then I read that amd gpu's are better for video editing while nvidia is best for gaming. I'm looking for something that is powerful yet under $450. Thanks

???

I'm not sure where you read that.

nVidia GPU's are a good idea for Hackintosh (IMO) because nVidia makes their own OS X drivers. Back when I used AMD GPU's, I used to have a lot of trouble making the graphics card work properly. The nVidia Web Drivers made my most recent install go a lot more smoothly.

Sorry for the late reply. Different models of 970's shouldn't make any difference in terms of Hackintosh compatibility. So it all comes down to which version you'd prefer in general.

I am by no means an expert on GPU's. Over on neogaf (where I got most of my advice when building my own PC/Hackintosh last summer), the main thing they recommend avoiding when comparing GPU models is anything with a "Blower Style" cooler. These types of coolers are noisy and still generate a lot of heat.

Beyond that, it really just comes down to which brand you prefer for support/price. If there's a couple of specific models you're considering, it may be worth asking in a non-Hackintosh-specific forum, since it really has no baring on Hackintosh compatibility whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back