1050 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi,

My first build has been running fine with the default iMac 14,2 SMBIOS and I am running an i7-6700k CPU. That said, I am wondering if there are any benefits to using the iMac 17,1 SMBIOS? I am only using integrated HD 530 graphics and have no additional GPU installed. I have seen some threads that suggest changing to 17,1 may result in a "black screen" but it's not clear to me if that applies to iGPU.

Thanks!

Don't think the benefits would be that significant. It's probably better to play safe and keep your 14.2 SMBIOS.

I'm running 17,1 and it currently works flawlessly. I used to run 14,2 and got a marginal improvement in my Geekbench score.

With that being said, I have also read other people having trouble with the 17,2 system definition. I would stick with 14,2 unless you have a way of fully recovering back to 14,2 when you change to 17,1. :)

So in terms of benefit we are talking slightly better CPU usage? On single-core processes I wouldn't mind a bump, but if the cost is a major headache for a very small bump I think 14,2 makes sense.

So in terms of benefit we are talking slightly better CPU usage? On single-core processes I wouldn't mind a bump, but if the cost is a major headache for a very small bump I think 14,2 makes sense.

Sorry for the late reply, yep that's right. Both single and multi got a slight bump.

On single I got a geekbench score of 5411 and multi 17624 compared to 5283 and 17391. It could also have been a good day for my hackintosh :D I haven't noticed any improvements in my day to day usage.

Sorry for the late reply, yep that's right. Both single and multi got a slight bump.

On single I got a geekbench score of 5411 and multi 17624 compared to 5283 and 17391. It could also have been a good day for my hackintosh :D I haven't noticed any improvements in my day to day usage.

Thanks for the metrics, very helpful! I'm getting 5332/16948 which seems about exactly in the middle of your scores for single-threaded. Multicore usage for me has more to do with my ability to write code which takes advantage of the cores as I'm doing some specific data-analysis tasks.

I think I'll keep 14,2 for now and next time I do an OS rebuilt try 17,1. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back