Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-H170N-WIFI
CPU
Intel i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 970
Hello, i've noticed that my cpu is quite high, sometimes reaches 100 of celsius. This is normal for such kind of work, or not?
This is my screen while rendering some 4k footage:
Screen Shot 2016-06-27 at 15.20.09.png

Thanks

What kind of cooler are you using? What are your idle temps? With temperatures like that you are throttling (the processor lowers its frequency to protect itself from overheating). You should avoid using the computer until you get the situation under control by correcting any problems with the cooler installation.

I took this from ****** (emphasis mine):

*80C Hot (100% Load)
*75C Warm
*70C Warm (Heavy Load)
*60C Norm
*50C Norm (Medium Load)
*40C Norm
*30C Cool (Idle)
*25C Cool

Core temperatures in the mid 70's are safe.

Also called "Tj Max" (Tjunction Max), this is the Thermal Specification that defines the Core temperature at which the processor will Throttle (reduce clock speed) to protect against thermal damage. Although Intel processors are capable of operating above 90C, we also know that excessive heat kills electronics.

Sustained Core temperature greater than 80C is too hot for ultimate stability, performance and longevity.

6th Generation 14 nanometer: i7 6700K / i5 6600K (TDP 91W / Idle 2W)

*Tcase (CPU temp) = 64C

*Tjunction (Core temp) = 69C

*Tj Max (Throttle temp) = 100C

Last edited:
For comparison, my 6700K has an idle temp of about 30C, and ~68C at full load.

EDIT: Sorry about the double post.

100C is max temperature for 6700K but its awful high so your cooling configuration is not setup correctly.

Mine is at ~55C at full load with dual radiator water cooler.

Last edited:
There may be enough contact between the chip and the heatsink to support the idle state, but I wonder if something needs to be tightened? Are you running on air or water?

Check your temp in BIOS.

If it's still running hot, you may want to check the water pump, thermal paste and cpu are mounted correctly for full contact.

Is the water pump making weird sounds? Are the water tubes to the reservoir or radiator mounted above the cpu so the water pump won't suck in air from the water reservoir?

Water.
Cooling system title: CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CW-9060007-WW) High Performance Water / Liquid CPU Cooler. 120m

Also have you got it plugged into the CPU_FAN header? If it's on a SYS_FAN header that could be the issue.

I have Corsair Hydro Series H60 CPU Cooler.

I have read that others have had the same problem with that unit (see Newegg reviews on it. Just go to the 1 star reviews...) That's why I went with Noctua air cooling. If you have a stock Intel fan assembly for your CPU, install that and see what happens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back