CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
In the past SK Hynix brand drives have not worked with macOS. This one might be different, only way to know is to buy one and try it yourself. For about the same price, you could get the WD Black SN850 and be certain it will work. Speeds should be similar.

know if this new NVMe card works with macOS?
Do you have any motherboard that is PCI-e 4.0 capable ? If not, save the money and buy a WD SN770 instead.

Do you have any motherboard that is PCI-e 4.0 capable ? If not, save the money and buy a WD SN770 instead.
You're right and my motherboard is not PCI-e 4.0 capable but I plan to upgrade my computer as my motherboard is getting old. It's having issues with network connections.

You could always add a PCIe Ethernet card to fix your network issues.

Extensive writeup, with awkward list of competitor but comprehensive...

Top-of-game performance in keeping with the Tom's Hardware review I posted on another thread.

I have a 980 Pro which is bereft with the Trim debacle. It gets wonky under 12.5 even with SetApsfsTrimTimeout=0. Various situations can induce a Trim cycle which hangs the system until done, and I've seem some data loss in with Paralells VM that I can't explain, and crashing with mgmt of APFS snapshots, although I've seen no macOS corruption with 980 Pro.

I need a gen4 alternative and this looks really hot, but I'm not ready to face more headaches of new product on hack, so I'm swapping 980 Pro for SN850 in hopes of consistent long term stable performance.

But maybe P41 this is the ticket?

I obtained a SK Hynix P41 2T and installed it today. I decided to risk it just for fun.

Cloning and early use have been smooth like butter.

Boots in 15 secs and no lagging, unlike 980 Pro it replaces.

I don't have enough experience yet to say whether Trim issue is no problem, but so far all good.

Here's some benches:

Note that the ATTO results are mibibytes per sec not megabytes per sec.

SKH P41 ATTO Disk.jpg

SKH P41 Amorphous Disk.jpg

SKH P41 AJA Disk.jpg

It looks like it's doing what it's supposed to.

As the switch has so far been totally uneventful, system is running at speed and feels smooth... I expect this to pan out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back