Contribute
Register

Simple G5 Mod. GPU Upgrade: "Dark Night" Vehicle Design... but not really stealthy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z77 Pro4-M > Need make and full model names > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
GTX TITAN
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

As I think you never stop the G5 modding work - because we keep having new ideas - I've done some improvements to my build.
Besides a new PSU fan (to me now, silence has a name: Noctua), I recently felt in love with a GPU.

The Gigabyte GTX 680 Super Overclock.
I was moved by its spectacular heat control design... and the 30% discount I could get for it...

So this is how it looked like when put in my PowerMacG5 :

IMG_0489.jpg IMG_0492.jpg IMG_0495.jpg

This GPU is so big, I could not plug back my Data HDDs (note the 2 blue SATA plugs... unplugged),
nor the "crystal" side panel I could use with my ancient GPU:

IMG_9.jpg

But the main "stay away from it" con (in my opinion) would be the sound it's making: there are 5 little fans to cool it - effective, I've to say - but it's mean you'll be using headphones the rest of your life... and that could be a problem, mainly if your beautiful PowerMac G5 reside in your living room as a HTPC/Gaming machine.

In conclusion, don't fall in love with this poison beauty...
unless you're deaf / your PowerMac G5 is in another room / You're a monk and have decided to make penitence torturing your ears...

PS : Oh, and "looked like" because after a week-end of "real" fun in games, I've been forced - my wife helped with that - to send it back to the online site I bought it from.

That must've been one noisy card, not to mention a space hog.

Fan noise gets overbearing quickly. Don't blame you for sending it back...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back