Not open for further replies.
Hi all -

I have a working High Sierra build (10.13.5) on the following hardware:
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H with latest available BIOS update
i7-4770K
32GB RAM
nVidia 640
Clover 4411
Triple-boots MacOS, Windows 10 and Linux; one UEFI SSD with MacOS, another UEFI SSD with Windows and Linux, and one hard drive for data.
I have no problems with this box (except being unable, after many attempts, to get Facetime to work).

I'm trying to set up a second Hackintosh on a very similar machine:
Gigabyte Z97X-UD7 TH with latest available BIOS update
i5-4690K
32GB RAM
On-board Intel 4600 graphics
Currently dual-boots Windows and Linux from on UEFI SSD; another UEFI SSD is cloned (via dd) from the first machine with the MacOS partitions (will change serial number and other info once it's bootable, or do a fresh install).

However, if I try to boot MacOS on this machine, I get an immediate crash. If I don't run in verbose mode, I get the apple, then an immediate "prohibited" (slashed circle) symbol. Using verbose mode, I get error messages such as:

"Error allocating 0x146ed pages at 0xxxxxxxx alloc type 2
Couldn't allocate runtime area" - then freezes

Tried all of the OsxAptioFix*Drv combinations recommended in several threads here - no joy. With some I get:
"OsxAptioFixDrv: Starting overrides for \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
Using reloc block: no, hibernatewake: no" - then freezes.

Trying to boot from a fresh UniBeast/10.13.5 install USB drive set up for this (second) machine, I get similar results.

Pics attached.

I can't come up with a reason for this. BIOS settings are the same for both machines (maybe someone has an updated list of working settings for the Z97X series?).
It's failing too soon for it to be an issue with the Intel vs. nVidia graphics, and it also fails when trying to boot from the install USB drive.

Any advice would be appreciated - thanks!!
View attachment 341394 View attachment 341396

Did you test that the dd clone was bootable from your Z87 system? I think I tried using dd once and the clone didn't work right.

Post your config.plist for USB installer.

Was going to do this, but first tried changing a couple of BIOS settings, and afterward was able to get past the initial freezeup point noted above, and was able to get it to boot the SSD partition, but only from the installer USB drive. I backed up the /EFI directory on the SSD's EFI partition and copied over the one from the USB drive, after which it booted from the SSD. I updated Clover and the configurator, took care of the SMBIOS tasks, reran MultiBeast to get audio working and was able to update to 10.13.6.

The only remaining problems are:

(1) Facetime still doesn't work, even after following all of the steps in the threads here and on InsanelyMac. It doesn't work on my other Hackintosh either. I guess it's a lost cause. I don't want to "contact Apple support". It's even a bit flaky (but sort of works) on my "real" Apple device (an older iPad).

(2) Graphics - there are still certain issues. Google Chrome can't seem to display pages at all; Safari does but they're not quite right (sometimes pixellated); sometimes I get brief white patches on the screen at boot. I'm using the integrated Intel graphics on this machine (my other working system uses an old nVidia card with good results) and have seen threads regarding this (Intel graphics) issue...I see that some people have had success in the past with the FakePCIIDxxx kexts - is this still the way to go?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Did you test that the dd clone was bootable from your Z87 system? I think I tried using dd once and the clone didn't work right.

Good point - but yes, it booted fine on the Z87 machine. Thanks.

(1) Facetime still doesn't work, even after following all of the steps in the threads here and on InsanelyMac. It doesn't work on my other Hackintosh either. I guess it's a lost cause. I don't want to "contact Apple support". It's even a bit flaky (but sort of works) on my "real" Apple device (an older iPad).

What aspect of FaceTime isn't working? I thought it wasn't working for me either... Then I realized that I hadn't set the microphone and output source correctly in FaceTime... Once I made those changes, it worked.

What aspect of FaceTime isn't working? I thought it wasn't working for me either... Then I realized that I hadn't set the microphone and output source correctly in FaceTime... Once I made those changes, it worked.

pastrychef: The camera works, and I assume that since it's on the same USB plug as its integrated mic, the mic should be fine (both work well with the other two OSes on this machine). I don't see any options to configure I/O devices in FaceTime. When I enter my AppleID and password, I just get this:

"To use FaceTime with this Mac, contact Apple Support and provide the code below.
Customer Code: 5491-4994-4287
Apple ID: [email protected]"

Would love to get this working, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks!

pastrychef: The camera works, and I assume that since it's on the same USB plug as its integrated mic, the mic should be fine (both work well with the other two OSes on this machine). I don't see any options to configure I/O devices in FaceTime. When I enter my AppleID and password, I just get this:

"To use FaceTime with this Mac, contact Apple Support and provide the code below.
Customer Code: 5491-4994-4287
Apple ID: [email protected]"

Would love to get this working, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks!

Ah. That's a very different problem from what I faced.

I've had to call Apple once to fix my iMessage. At the time, I still had my MacBook and I explained all the problems I had with my hack but said the issues were happening on my MacBook. It ended up taking about 3 days to fix and the Apple rep was fantastic. He must have called me back about a dozen times to tell me he hadn't forgotten about me and that they were still working on it. Eventually, it did get fixed and since then, I haven't had any issues with Messages or FaceTime on any of my devices.

Thanks to RehabMan's post here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/setting-up-graphics-acceleration-for-intel-hd-4600.231454/

I was able to easily get the HD 4600 graphics working well. Good thing I had an inline HDMI -> VGA converter handy (the HDMI port on my monitor is already being used, and I am running four machines through a KVM switch). Thanks, RehabMan!

Which brings me to my last issue: The wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse don't work if the dongle is plugged into the KVM switch - but only under MacOS. It works fine under Linux and Windows if it's plugged into the KVM switch, but only if using a USB port on the machine itself under MacOS. Is there a kext I need to load or a setting to tweak in config.plist to fix this? Thanks again!

Last edited:
Ah. That's a very different problem from what I faced.

I've had to call Apple once to fix my iMessage. At the time, I still had my MacBook and I explained all the problems I had with my hack but said the issues were happening on my MacBook. It ended up taking about 3 days to fix and the Apple rep was fantastic. He must have called me back about a dozen times to tell me he hadn't forgotten about me and that they were still working on it. Eventually, it did get fixed and since then, I haven't had any issues with Messages or FaceTime on any of my devices.

Ah, yes - that was a good strategy. Unfortunately, I don't have a real Mac registered under my AppleID to try that with...! What exactly was the issue? Maybe I can do something about it on this end (though doubt it). Both serial numbers check out, so I don't think that's it.

Thanks!

Ah, yes - that was a good strategy. Unfortunately, I don't have a real Mac registered under my AppleID to try that with...! What exactly was the issue? Maybe I can do something about it on this end (though doubt it). Both serial numbers check out, so I don't think that's it.

Thanks!

My issue was that when I tried to sign in to Messages, it would tell me to call Apple. There really wasn't anything I could do on my end. The person whom I was dealing with said that he had to do something on the server side which is why it took so long.

My issue was that when I tried to sign in to Messages, it would tell me to call Apple. There really wasn't anything I could do on my end. The person whom I was dealing with said that he had to do something on the server side which is why it took so long.

Meh. Thought that might be the case. Probably some kind of authentication issue on their servers. Oh well. I can live without FaceTime and iMessage on the Hacks, though it would have been nice to get them working. My wife is all-Apple and complains that she can't FaceTime me while I'm on one of my computers. ;-) Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back