RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Screenshot-1.png
Source states it will be available this year on June 11th. If you already own the Windows version, you'll be able to download the OS X version for free.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/10/simcity-mac-june-11/

Game on!

I'm very interested in seeing performance comparisons of this vs. the Windows version. Usually games perform far better under Windows, but this is supposed to be a native port so it may not be too bad. (I have my hackintosh set up with a secondary SSD booting Windows 8 for games in part because of this).

I'm very interested in seeing performance comparisons of this vs. the Windows version. Usually games perform far better under Windows, but this is supposed to be a native port so it may not be too bad. (I have my hackintosh set up with a secondary SSD booting Windows 8 for games in part because of this).

It's probably just as good. OS X gaming is soon to be on par with Windows, especially with that various graphics card support now.

It's probably just as good. OS X gaming is soon to be on par with Windows, especially with that various graphics card support now.

Unfortunately native graphics card support isn't the only factor. Most PC games are build to run using DirectX, which is unavailable on the Mac. Switching the game over to OpenGL after the fact tends to result in at least some performance loss. The good news is if you machine is powerful enough, that doesn't really matter. The other good news is that the system requirements for SimCity are quite low, so it shouldn't be too big of a problem in this case.

Unfortunately native graphics card support isn't the only factor. Most PC games are build to run using DirectX, which is unavailable on the Mac. Switching the game over to OpenGL after the fact tends to result in at least some performance loss. The good news is if you machine is powerful enough, that doesn't really matter. The other good news is that the system requirements for SimCity are quite low, so it shouldn't be too big of a problem in this case.

It is rumored that with there won't be DirectX 12, so that wouldn't be a factor anymore.

I was just about to cave and get Parallels or something to run SimCity (in the end).
But guess what! You saved me from buying it!

Thanks so much for sharing!

PS I read simcity 4 is not playable anymore... so this seems to be the thing to wait for.

I was just about to cave and get Parallels or something to run SimCity (in the end).
But guess what! You saved me from buying it!

Thanks so much for sharing!

PS I read simcity 4 is not playable anymore... so this seems to be the thing to wait for.

SC4 seems to be playable for me in 10.8.3. It's asking for the disc, which I don't want to get, but at least it launches.

Yep. Have had it since it first came out on Windows. Found it to be pretty fun but a bit of a letdown with a lot of bugs. Haven't played in a couple of months but now that it's out on Mac I'm about to play it! Hopefully they ironed out all the major problems. Wish me luck. :)

Yep. Have had it since it first came out on Windows. Found it to be pretty fun but a bit of a letdown with a lot of bugs. Haven't played in a couple of months but now that it's out on Mac I'm about to play it! Hopefully they ironed out all the major problems. Wish me luck. :)

SimCity for OS X was a problem at launch a few days ago but apparently EA has worked the bugs out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back