Contribute
Register

Silent HTPC Build: Streacom DB4 case, ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac, Core i5-7600, Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so little update which might be relevant to you:

my USB C *seems* to be working correctly (it's detecting and mounting my nexus 5 with usbc and my usb 3 flash drive with an usb otg adaptor) AS LONG as whatever I want to use with it is connected before boot. It won't recognize anything new that is plugged into it.

@GerhardZ i am wondering if you get the HD630 waking from sleep working? Do you just only turn off display?
And if I am not reading you wrong, you said when you turn off the TV and power the TV back on, login from laptop, reset resolution to get functional signal. That was all done when the Computer is fully powered on?

Ok so little update which might be relevant to you:

my USB C *seems* to be working correctly (it's detecting and mounting my nexus 5 with usbc and my usb 3 flash drive with an usb otg adaptor) AS LONG as whatever I want to use with it is connected before boot. It won't recognize anything new that is plugged into it.
A full functional thunderbolt 3 port in type-c can support USB2.0/3.0/3.1, displayport, and Thunderbolt 2/3 standard.
I suppose to get the USB part working or disabling it isn't difficult since many boards just need a SSDT.
However, on most 1151 boards I have worked with never lose hot-plug, could you share a little bit more with what steps you have done to try to get that particular port to work?

Last edited:
Gerhardz, Hello I'm building a similar build as yours except I'm using an I7 7700K processor. I can't get into the installation screen the apple symbol come up then it freezes. Did u use any boot argument in clover to get to the installer? I appreciate all the help in advance. FYI i was able to get my thunderbolt display to work in windows 10 via thunderbolt.

GerhardZ I have read your thread from start to end and found it very interesting.

The DB4 case is super interesting and I will look into it more for a future project.

However, the reason for my post is that I have a ASRock Fatal1ty X270 Gaming ITX/ac on my desk in an open frame bring up stand (i7-7700T, 16GB, GF GT 240) While I have Sierra installed with Ethernet working, sound with VoodooHDA 2.8.9 and USB1,2,3 working. My real interest is getting USB3.1 Type C port up and running. I do not have any TB devices. The TB function is not discovered at this point.

I am hoping that you or anyone reading this thread can shed light on bringing up the Type C port.

Good modding,
neil

Neilhart I was able to install Mac os Sierra on my ASRock Fatal1ty X270 Gaming ITX/ac board. but im having troubles with making changes in the config.plist for usb and sound. I did manage to get it to boot up on my thunderbolt display. I had to install windows 10 then installed the thunderbolt 3 drivers found on the ASRock web site. Rebooted into windows 10 thunderbolt display came on. Shut down Windows booted into Mac OS Sierra then thunderbolt display worked. I think this same procedure will work for getting usb 3.1 C to work. Hope this helps. Good luck

I was wondering if you would share your config.plist. i hope this will help me out.

Neilhart I was able to install Mac os Sierra on my ASRock Fatal1ty X270 Gaming ITX/ac board. but im having troubles with making changes in the config.plist for usb and sound. I did manage to get it to boot up on my thunderbolt display. I had to install windows 10 then installed the thunderbolt 3 drivers found on the ASRock web site. Rebooted into windows 10 thunderbolt display came on. Shut down Windows booted into Mac OS Sierra then thunderbolt display worked. I think this same procedure will work for getting usb 3.1 C to work. Hope this helps. Good luck

I was wondering if you would share your config.plist. i hope this will help me out.

Yes I will attach a compressed copy of the config.plist. Please note this is set up for booting with Nvidia injected as I am using an old GeForce GT 240 GPU to avoid dealing with the Intel HD Graphics at this time. Also you might note that the this is the same config.plist that I am running in the ASUS Z270I system (meaning I have not taken the time to strip the patches that are not needed from this file, it works for now).

And thanks for the notes about win 10 and thunderbolt setup. I am looking around for a Win 10 distribution but may go ask for a 90 day evaluation copy.

edit: if you run this config.plist, please go into the file and add a serial number for your system.

Good modding,
neil

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 241
hockeylove I followed your direction; downloaded and installed a 90 day Win 10 Evalution and after an install, I used the ASRock DVD that came with the motherboard and ran the Thunderbolt install utility. After a reboot, the Win 10 installation did see a HDD that I had attached to the USB Type C port with the Sabrent Type C to SATA cable.

And then a boot back to the macOS 10.12.3 SSD, I now have the USB 3.1 showing in the device listing and the attached HDD is listed along with its contents. Also with "Speed: Up to 10Gb/sec" listed. So I used SuperDuper! to clone a copy of the OS off to the HDD as a test for sustained function.

However, without access to a thunderbolt device, I still do no know if TB is working.

Thank you again for the guidance.

neil

Awesome! No problem Neilhart. Thats what makes this community great.

I've been looking into making a similar build, interested in the inwin bq696, but I can only have a 150W PSU in it, does anyone know if it will be enough for a kabylake quad core I5 (HD630), an NVME SSD (and maybe a regular one) if not I'll go with the streacom, but then I'll be worried about the passive cooling ... Also, thanks for this log, I didn't think Mac OS would work on this motherboard, and it would be truly great to be able to use a full TB3 on such a build and under mac OS..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back