Contribute
Register

Silent Hackintosh · Fractal R4 · GA-Z77-DS3H · 3570K · Gigabyte 660TI · Samsung 830 SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I had read in another thread that the built in nic card maybe only work on one revision of the mb? About to attempt this so thanks! I would just use the built in hd4000....what do you select for multibeast for this?
I'm running the GA-Z77-DS3H, Rev 1.0 / i5-3570K / HD4000 successfully. After you install Mountain Lion using the UniBeast Installation Guide, run the latest version of MulitBeast. Without posting a MultiBeast configuration snapshot, I checked off the following (see the MulitBeast Features document for more information):
- UserDSDT or DSDT-Free Installation
- Drivers>Audio>Realtek ALC8xxx>Without DSDT>ALC887/888b
- Drivers>Disk>3rd Party SATA
- Drivers>Miscellaneous>FakeSMC Plugins> Motherboard Plugins
- Drivers>Network>Intel - Hnak's AppleIntelE1000e
- Customization>System Definitions>MacMini>MacMini5,1​
The MacMin5,1 definition is for using two monitors with HD4000. I'd use it even if you are using one monitor. Don't use the MacMini6,1; I experienced speaker popping.

That's all that's needed for using HD4000 with the Z77-DS3H motherboard. BTW, don't use the long string that's talked about in older posts/threads as Chimera has this incorporated in the Chimera bootloader.

Yea I might have done more than I should. I use the Mac Pro 3,1 but my motherboard is rev 1.1. Any ideas on the best way to get rid of kernals you don't need? I doubt the best way is just to go through a delete them in the extensions folder

Stork,
I don't see this in your list of builds.
"I'm running the GA-Z77-DS3H, Rev 1.0 / i5-3570K / HD4000 successfully"

Is it a setup that you currently use, with the HD 4000 for graphics. I am looking to build my second Hackintosh with this board and CPU, and was thinking of omitting the graphics card since I really don't do much gaming or editing. Can you comment on this? Thank you in advance.

brimcan,
I don't have every build in my signature block as it would be too long. :lol:

However, I highly recommend users start with Intel's HD4000 on-board graphics with the appropriate HD4000 compatible Intel processor. As you can see from the Tom's Hardware Graphics Hierarchy Table, HD4000 is robust for most people's computing. I even use GarageBand successfully with HD4000. Speaking of audio recording, BoomR's professional audio recording rig uses only HD4000. YouTube video's work as they should, and HD4000 is sufficient for HTPCs use as well. So, save your money in the beginning. You can always add a graphics card later. See the current tonymacx86's Buyers Guide in my signature block for more recommendations.

BTW, initially, I went with HD4000 in my Thunderball build as I was convinced I didn't need a graphics card for my work. However, we needed someone to test the new EVGA GTX 650 Ti, so I volunteered. My Sandy Bridge production system, Zorro, uses HD3000 graphics which is also sufficient for my use.

...I highly recommend users start with Intel's HD4000 on-board graphics with the appropriate HD4000 compatible Intel processor.
I heartily concur. You mentioned general use, GarageBand, and HTPCs. I've been saying for a while that even for Photoshop and Lightroom work the HD4000 is plenty. Of course bigger GPUs are fine too (especially for gaming) but many people don't need that, and by staying with the HD4000 they can save on the cost of the card and PSU, have maybe less system noise, and even save on electricity bills.

Stork and DBP,
Thank you both for the information. I purchased all the components, and will hold off on the GPU for now. I really don't see the need for one, since my use will be mainly web browsing, with occasional videos online and movies related to work.

Stork,
Could you tell me any specific bios settings for the setup: GA-Z77-DS3H, Rev 1.0 / i5-3570K / HD4000. And are these your settings Multibeast from earlier in the thread:

- UserDSDT or DSDT-Free Installation
- Drivers>Audio>Realtek ALC8xxx>Without DSDT>ALC887/888b
- Drivers>Disk>3rd Party SATA
- Drivers>Miscellaneous>FakeSMC Plugins> Motherboard Plugins
- Drivers>Network>Intel - Hnak's AppleIntelE1000e
- Customization>System Definitions>MacMini>MacMini5,1
The MacMin5,1 definition is for using two monitors with HD4000. I'd use it even if you are using one monitor. Don't use the MacMini6,1; I experienced speaker popping.

I believe that some of the problems I had with my first Hackintosh were related to my initial setup. I mirrored the build of the machine on your Zorro build just with an added GPU but I am sure I did not do it as well as you. This caused lots of frustration for me and my hesitation to build another.

Do I need the TP-Link PCI Express Adapter(TL-WDN4800) or can I just use ethernet, since my whole has is wired for CAT 5?

Also I noticed that you changed your signature line to reflect the test system now. I hope I didn't cause you to do that.

Thanks again for all your help.

brimcan,
IIRC, those are the MultiBeast settings I used. (My Z77-DS3H system is torn down now for some changes.) You can use the default MacPro3,1 System Definition for HD4000 for two monitors. I used MacMini5,1 out of habit as that's what is required for my Sandy Bridge systems in order to drive two monitors.

I'm running a 6850 graphics card in my Son-of-Zorro build. It was a PITA to get working because of Apple's ATI6000xyz.kext fiasco in installing Lion and early Mountain Lion versions. I don't know if that was your problem, but 10.8.2 finally made it easy to use. Both Zorro and Son-of-Zorro are running great and will become the systems of one or more of my upcoming case mods. (Fortunately, there are several good guides for installing 6000 series graphics cards.)

If you don't need wireless, go for Ethernet connection. It works with the proper MultiBeast Network kext. I used the TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCI-e wireless card to test it out in my Thunderball system because it resides in my loft away from the router.

I changed my signature block first, because of DBP's jab (Admins & Moderators are allowed some latitude with their signature blocks to aid Forum members), and, second, I realized had older systems in my signature block that were no longer relevant. :thumbup: However, I must admit that my two P55M-UD2/4 with i5-760 & i7-875K systems run Mountain Lion effortlessly.

Thanks for the answers. I think I have the Hack going, but it sure took a lot of work. I am used to a GPU, so I do not know if some of the things I am experiencing are because I don't have one on this build. But when I open folders, it's not quite as quick. When I opened iTunes, I got an error code -50, but I think this is because I was not yet on the web. And when I try sleep, the screen goes white, and the fans are still spinning. I am pretty sure the computer itself is sleeping, because when I touch a key it "wakes." Any suggestions on these issues, especially sleep? You've been a great help.

I think I must have done something wrong. My geekbench score is only 4077! Also, whenever I try to view online videos, the screen flickers, as if the HD 4000 is being overburdened. Any suggestions for an inexpensive GPU - how is the 640 or 650 in terms of compatibility with this system? Any suggestions that might improve things in my bios or Multibeast?

My Z77-DS4H / i5-3570K / HD4000 system does not have the same results as you described. I recommend you review your BIOS setup and UniBeast Installation Guide steps. You must have missed a step or inadvertently chosen an inappropriate MultiBeast option. HD4000 works so well that BoomR, a professional recording engineer, is using it to drive two monitors with lots of windows open at once w/o screen artifacts or other graphics problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back