ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX
CPU
i5-9400
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Hi all,

I'm about to embark on my first Hackintosh build. Hoping to get some advice.

Objective:
I want to build a machine using the Streacom DB4 case, with a focus on home recording and music production. The work I do is not intensive, but silence gives me a huge flexibility with the use of my microphones within the single room I record. I'm aware that the full silence is a trade off with performance, I'm Ok with this. I also use Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, this is less of a priority in my work load.

What I Currently Use
To help set the bar, I currently use a:
Macbook Pro: (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
Processor: 2GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

This is fine for most of my work, but anything I can improve on in my build, is a bonus.

This build also needs to work with Apogee Duet 2 (usb).

Build Difficulty
This is my first Hackintosh build, and I'd like to keep it on the cleaner and simpler side.

The build:
Below is what I have as a starting, but keen on input for the Motherboard in particular, as when it comes to understanding PSU constraints and the size of the DB4 I'm overwhelmed.

Case: Streacom DB4
PSU: ZF240 Fanless 240W ZeroFlex PSU
CPU: Intel i7-6700K
Motherboard: Asus Z170i PRO GAMING mini-ITX (can I spend more and get something better that would work)?
GPU: I'm happy to go without here. I can add a GPU down the road (I hear Streacom are working on a heat pipe kit for graphics cards in the DB4).
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4-3000
STORAGE: Kingston SSDNow A400 480GB SSD
Wifi-BT: Dell DW1560 Broadcom BCM94352Z M.2/NGFF 802.11AC 867Mbps Bluetooth 4.0 WIFI Card

I'm aware that there are other builds out there, but haven't found one that relates to my needs, most of the posts are people dismissing the silent, because they game, or at the other end music producers trying to jam a power house into the DB4, which can't happen. But if I've missed one, please send me a link (don't want to re-invent the wheel).

I don't want to overcomplicate it, as I'm sure a new build within the DB4 will kill my current Macbook Pro, but any advice on the final decision to make this machine really purrrr would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hello,
as you may have already saw on this website, there has been an update to Sierra providing native support for Kaby Lake. TonyMacx86 stated that a Multibeast is in the works for this and I would get Kaby Lake CPU and 270 series boards if you have not purchased the other components yet.

But if you have, the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming is a great board. I've used it for a Hackintosh with no issues.

From what I've read on the DB4 the cooling for the CPU is good for 65W TDP and the 6700K is 91W. You may need to get the additional LH6 Heatpipes.

GPU is not a necessity but they do have blower style GPUs that are not loud from what I've read. I don't know if this case has any vents or openings but a blower style GPU would probably be best for a case like this if it doesn't. The Buyer's Guide does recommend a GPU.

Hopes this helps.

+1 on the optional heat pipe kit to accommodate a 91W CPU, AND you must make sure the Mobo can accommodate the second set of heat pipes, basically, no obstructions (VRM?) around the CPU socket in the way to mount the heat pipes, there is a guy on Youtube who had this problem, and if you have to route the heat pipes over the PCIe slot, then well you lost PCIe functionality.

But you don't need external GPU for music production. External GPU to me is for gamers. If you don't know this already, CPU built-in GPU these days is good enough for everything else, EXCEPT heavy gaming.

If you haven't watched the few DB4 built on Youtube already... don't use Streacom's supplied heat pads, yes they are less messy, easier blah-blah, but is been proven standard TIM (buy another tube if you have to) works better when heat transfer efficiency is paramount.

If this is your first fan-less, I think you will be very happy, as long as the "accountant" doesn't find out :)

The LH6 does not really match the Z170i board. I had to remove the heatsinks which cover the voltage regulators (opposite of the PCIe slot). The voltage regulators never get hot, because I am not overclocking anything. Therefore it was Okay for me to simply remove them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back