i7-6700k
Graphics
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW DT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I guess it's a fairly simple question, although I feel like the answer may not be simple.

What is the significance of the System Definition, and how can it affect an install? I'm currently using Mac Pro3,1 and pretty much everything is working except for my 1070 (running unaccelerated), my audio (waiting for Sierra, don't super care atm), my wifi/BT/handoff (need new wifi card), and CPU power management (properly).

I guess that sounds like a lot, but other than Audio, nothing that really affects me day-to-day atm.

So anyway, what I'm getting at is, how can changes in the System Definition influence how the system runs, what works and doesn't, etc? Why would I choose one over another? For example, the iMac17,1 definition seems like it would fit my Skylake system best, but I see that the real model doesn't have USB 2.0 ports - does picking this definition mean I would not longer have access to those ports on my machine?

Alternately, is there a FAQ that can tell me all I want to know so I don't waste anyone's time?

Thanks!

Hi all,

I guess it's a fairly simple question, although I feel like the answer may not be simple.

What is the significance of the System Definition, and how can it affect an install? I'm currently using Mac Pro3,1 and pretty much everything is working except for my 1070 (running unaccelerated), my audio (waiting for Sierra, don't super care atm), my wifi/BT/handoff (need new wifi card), and CPU power management (properly).

I guess that sounds like a lot, but other than Audio, nothing that really affects me day-to-day atm.

So anyway, what I'm getting at is, how can changes in the System Definition influence how the system runs, what works and doesn't, etc? Why would I choose one over another? For example, the iMac17,1 definition seems like it would fit my Skylake system best, but I see that the real model doesn't have USB 2.0 ports - does picking this definition mean I would not longer have access to those ports on my machine?

Alternately, is there a FAQ that can tell me all I want to know so I don't waste anyone's time?

Thanks!

In the past month, I have asked a similar question in two different forums but got zero answers.
I also tried to make an extensive forum search to see if anyone had previously provided the information sought.

I found 3 types of information:

1. System definition 3,1 seems to mostly work for a lot of people;

2. Some say pick any one you want and use it, but they don't say how to make the choice;

3. Others say to use the sys. def. that identifies a Mac model that uses the same or similar CPU as that used in your hackintosh. For me, thay would be 17,1 because I'm using an i5-6600, a Skylake processor that is used in one of the late 2013 iMacs;

4. Some who followed the preceding approach had problems that they solved (at least partially) by using 3,1 (for some) or 14,1 (for others).

It's all mysterious. Maybe the answer involves a secret incantation and a sprinkling of ram's blood (umm...more RAM, it just might work).

Last edited:
It's all mysterious. Maybe the answer involves a secret incantation and a sprinkling of ram's blood (umm...more RAM, it just might work).

I appreciate the reply, either way!

Eagerly awaiting some updates w/ Sierra so I can see if that fixes anything glaring.

Does changing a system definition create any big hassles?

Yes, I too was searching for more concrete info prior to my build. Although I must say DrBEN's comments are terribly funny and oh so true. I'd add the option of pulling out some tarot cards and with a sharpie write down 3,1 14,1 15,1 ...etc on them, light some incense and draw a card.

However....

In a post I saw Stork reference the everymac.com site. There you can search every real Mac by CPU. I suggest (although I am NOT an authority on this and is just my best guess based on my own personal research) to find the exact CPU you have (model, speed, etc.) and then select the Mac that uses it. You will then see the real Mac's system definition and I believe using it should provide the correct definition you should use on your hackintosh.

+1 for everymac.com, you may also use the free Mactracker app to find a Mac that matches your hardware as closely as possible.

We used to recommend the MacPro3,1 system definition as that was the one that suited most systems but with the advent of Sierra it fails to meet the minimum spec for installation. The new entry level recommendation is iMac14,2.

Last edited:
We used to recommend the MacPro3,1 system definition as that was the one that suited most systems but with the advent of Sierra it fails to meet the minimum spec for installation. The new entry level recommendation is iMac14,2.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the idea to find the system definition that most closely matches the PC you've built? In that case, what is it that would make MacPro3,1 be a better match for a Skylake system (for example) than iMac17,1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back