HP Z800
CPU
2 x Xeonn X5680
Graphics
RX580 Pulse 8GB
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hi all,

I want to upgrade my system from 10.9.5 (chameleon) to Sierra. Reason being, is that it is a music studio machine and now the new versions of the software I'm using won't run on older OS's.

My system is based on the Gigabyte x58A UD7, with the 980x CPU, GTX780 video, 24GB of RAM, overclocked to 4.11GHz.
As a note, I'm not interested in onboard sound which is disabled in the bios.
I have 3 software Raid0 arrays in my system (created with the disk utility).
Array 1 is comprised of 2 x 500GB HDD drives and has the OSx.
Array 2 is comprised of 4 x 500GB HDD drives and is used to record/playback audio.
Array 3 is comprised of 2 x 750GB HDD drives and is the samples library/drive.
There is also another hot swap SATA drive caddy,where I just use single 2TB SATA drives for backups.

I need the speed of the Raid0 arrays and the capacity of the hard drives, as with audio recording and dealing with software samplers means tons of data being read and written at the same time. I can't upgrade to SSDs (or to a new system) as this would mean thousands spent. Just the SSD cost alone is prohibitive due to the capacities needed for audio work.
I would also much prefer to upgrade instead of a new install, as re-installing all the audio software and tuning it will take weeks and I can't afford staying out of business for too long.

The problem I encountered when I tried to upgrade, is that Clover 4045 doesn't play nice with software raid arrays and reboots on 'scanning entries' when I'm trying to install from a usb stick created with Unibeast for Sierra (legacy mode due to my older motherboard).
I have tried both with the bios settings recommended for the upgrade for my motherboard and my overclocked ones.
After reading many posts around the forums, I believe it is due to the Raid0 arrays.
The only thing I've tried is to use HFSPlus.efi in my EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder and not VBoxHFs-64.efi but this doesn't work, I think due to the legacy mode of my older motherboard.

Has anyone had any similar experiences, or a solution to this?

Many Thanks in advance.
George

Last edited:
Other option is to get an SSD just for the OS drive (so array 1 from above will be gone and will be just a single drive), Clone my existing Mavericks installation and upgrade the installation on the SSD. Will that work?
Also let's say it works. After a successful upgrade, Will I be able to use my other Raid arrays and not lose any data on them? Just plug and play?

The only thing I've tried is to use HFSPlus.efi in my EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder and not VBoxHFs-64.efi but this doesn't work, I think due to the legacy mode of my older motherboard.
If you use Legacy Boot mode you should use HFSPlus.efi in your EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 folder.

If you use Legacy Boot mode you should use HFSPlus.efi in your EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 folder.
Thanks for the reply Brebo.

I tried that with the same result

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back