Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Been running Sierra for about 3 days now without any issues, but today I ran into a serious one.

My computer completely powers off, very suddenly, then powers back up again 2-3 seconds later. I cannot keep it running in OS X for longer then a minute.

I let the PC idle in Clover just so I could make sure it wasn't a hardware fault. I even let it sit on the login screen of Sierra for a few minutes. As soon as I let it sit on the desktop for longer than 30-40 seconds, I lose all power, and it keeps happening.

What can I check? It's really hard to troubleshoot when I can't use the OS.

GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
Reference GTX 970
i7 4790k (no OC)
16 GB Memory 1600 MHz
1000W Supernova G1 PSU
Samsung 840 Evo SSD

Update: I can keep it running in safe mode without caches. I'm clearing caches right now to see if that helps.

Update 2: Clearing out all of the caches seems to have temporarily fixed my problem. Still wondering how something like that can happen though and how I can avoid it in the future.

Last edited:
It's started happening again. Any advice would be appreciated!

It's started happening again. Any advice would be appreciated!

I've been having a similar problem, and I am also seeing UEFI partitions proliferate.

I have an i7-5820k running on an Asrock X99 Extreme 4 board with an NVIDIA GTX 960 that ran Ubuntu Linux for 10 months without a hitch. I installed Mac OS Sierra on it a few weeks ago and it ran beautifully for 3 straight days. Then I found it at the Clover menu.

After that it happened again roughly every 24 hours. Then I spotted this guide and it helped, for a while:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...boot-entries-prevent-further-problems.175274/

It ran for another 3 days after I cleared out all of the bogus UEFI partitions. Then it happened again, and kept restarting roughly every day. Then I flashed the BIOS and got rid of the extra partitions again. I thought I was in the clear, but discovered it did it again last night.

So try the UEFI partition guide. This may be your only issue, whereas I'm suspicious there is something else going on with mine. Hopefully this time I captured some data on the crash and maybe can find out if I am having a kernel panic or some other issue that takes a while to happen.

Is this happening after you run the Photos app by chance? Having similar issue due to strange problem with face detection. Try using an account without opening Photos and see what happens.

Been running Sierra for about 3 days now without any issues, but today I ran into a serious one.

My computer completely powers off, very suddenly, then powers back up again 2-3 seconds later. I cannot keep it running in OS X for longer then a minute.

I let the PC idle in Clover just so I could make sure it wasn't a hardware fault. I even let it sit on the login screen of Sierra for a few minutes. As soon as I let it sit on the desktop for longer than 30-40 seconds, I lose all power, and it keeps happening.

What can I check? It's really hard to troubleshoot when I can't use the OS.

GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
Reference GTX 970
i7 4790k (no OC)
16 GB Memory 1600 MHz
1000W Supernova G1 PSU
Samsung 840 Evo SSD

Update: I can keep it running in safe mode without caches. I'm clearing caches right now to see if that helps.

Update 2: Clearing out all of the caches seems to have temporarily fixed my problem. Still wondering how something like that can happen though and how I can avoid it in the future.

Are you sure its not a kernel? is it a reboot or the machine actually powers off? with some boards without appropriate patches Wake on Lan can cause the problem or Power Nap.

Try launching System Information (formerly know as System Profiler) and click on "Power" on the left. Make sure that the power settings are correct and that "AutoPowerOff Enabled" is not enabled.

I've been having a similar problem, and I am also seeing UEFI partitions proliferate.

I have an i7-5820k running on an Asrock X99 Extreme 4 board with an NVIDIA GTX 960 that ran Ubuntu Linux for 10 months without a hitch. I installed Mac OS Sierra on it a few weeks ago and it ran beautifully for 3 straight days. Then I found it at the Clover menu.

After that it happened again roughly every 24 hours. Then I spotted this guide and it helped, for a while:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...boot-entries-prevent-further-problems.175274/

It ran for another 3 days after I cleared out all of the bogus UEFI partitions. Then it happened again, and kept restarting roughly every day. Then I flashed the BIOS and got rid of the extra partitions again. I thought I was in the clear, but discovered it did it again last night.

So try the UEFI partition guide. This may be your only issue, whereas I'm suspicious there is something else going on with mine. Hopefully this time I captured some data on the crash and maybe can find out if I am having a kernel panic or some other issue that takes a while to happen.

I myself have an ASRock x99 Extreme4 board. Just posted a mini-guide for a fresh install. Here's a link to it: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-sierra-asrock-x99-extreme4-mini-guide.207371/

I myself have an ASRock x99 Extreme4 board. Just posted a mini-guide for a fresh install. Here's a link to it: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-sierra-asrock-x99-extreme4-mini-guide.207371/

I see you have a Xeon processor. Will that make a difference? Besides the proliferation of EFI boot options and this problem with restarting, I am also seeing about 28% worse processor performance than expected. It's like it ignores the overclock settings on the motherboard. I measured it in Linux and in Mac OS Sierra and the Mac side falls about 28% short. When it's running under Linux at full load, the CPU heats up to about 65C, while under Mac OS Sierra it never rises above 49C.

System profiler shows my CPU as a Xeon 6 core, while it's really a i7-5820k overclocked. I wonder if the performance problem is due to the OS recognizing it as a Xeon, which can't be overclocked, and that somehow limits the performance down to what a 3.3GHz Xeon would pull.

I see you have a Xeon processor. Will that make a difference? Besides the proliferation of EFI boot options and this problem with restarting, I am also seeing about 28% worse processor performance than expected. It's like it ignores the overclock settings on the motherboard. I measured it in Linux and in Mac OS Sierra and the Mac side falls about 28% short. When it's running under Linux at full load, the CPU heats up to about 65C, while under Mac OS Sierra it never rises above 49C.

Some of the CPUs modification I made are with Piker Alpha's ssdtprgen.sh and freqVectorsedit.sh located at Piker's Github pages linked below:

Essentially you are putting your CPUs innate values (freq, base clock, etc) as a SSDT.aml and SMBIOS files which the scripts will generate to tell OSX what it's dealing with. In the case of the ssdtprgen.sh you can specify overclocked values. This may help you in your endeavour to get full performance out of your configuration.

System profiler shows my CPU as a Xeon 6 core, while it's really a i7-5820k overclocked. I wonder if the performance problem is due to the OS recognizing it as a Xeon, which can't be overclocked, and that somehow limits the performance down to what a 3.3GHz Xeon would pull.

System profile name is purely cosmetic. To fix this you can add the correct CPU hex ID at the FAKECPUID key on your config.plist

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back