Contribute
Register

Sierra installed OK, but won't boot at all: kernel panic 0xffffff8007dfe39d (ATI HD 4850)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS P5Q Pro
CPU
Intel Q8300
Graphics
ATI HD 4850
Hello all

Here are my specs:
  • ASUS P5Q PRO motherboard (Virtualization: disabled, SATA mode: AHCI, EHCI handoff enabled)
  • Intel Q8300 (Edit: fixed)
  • ATI HD 4850 graphics card
  • 500GB WDC SATA HDD

I used the latest Unibeast to create an installation USB stick with the latest Sierra installer downloaded from the App Store. I chose "Inject ATI drivers" during the Unibeast process but I have otherwise not copied any .kext files or anything to the USB.

Installation went fine, the Sierra installer ran without any problem. I formatted my drive as per the guide.

The problem is now I can't get to my first boot. I load up Clover and choose the new Sierra install, but I get the following kernel panic 0xffffff8007dfe39d as below:

udCnLjQ.jpg

I spent hours searching through this forum for similar issues, and here is what I have tried unsuccessfully:

• Various boot options including GraphicsEnabler=No
  • Booting "without injected kexts"
  • Booting via Clover's "safe mode" -- this took about 15 minutes and did get to the Apple logo/loading bar screen, but then froze and didn't load anything at all
  • Spoofing the ATI graphics ID of a HD4750 as suggested here
None of the above has worked.

There are some threads suggesting people look for "ATIRadeonX2000.kext and AMD4800Controller.kext" but they are several years old so I'm not sure where I would find these files.

I am also not sure of where to put any .kext files I find or what to do with them since I can't even boot to use Multibeast or whatever.

Any advice, please?

Last edited:
Sorry - my CPU is actually a Q8300.

I was able to boot into Sierra using `-v -x -s -f cpus=1 maxmem=4096 nv_disable=1 -no-zp` if that makes any difference?

I tried to use Multibeast to make my drive bootable, but the installation failed. I now understand that you can't use Multibeast from safe mode?

I have the same HD 4850 graphics card as you, and have exactly the same kernel panic - which seems to happen when loading the ATIRadeon X2000.kext (see image of my panic below). Since our other hardware is quite different, I think its likely that it our HD 4850 cards that are causing the issue. I created my own thread discussing my (so far unsuccessful) attempts at finding a solution here.

I really hope that someone can give us a little help here!

panic at ATI.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back