Contribute
Register

Sierra installation works but won't boot once Multibeast installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok great, thanks guys. That has worked. I can now boot to Sierra without the USB connected.

Clearly though I need to add a few kexts and boot flags etc to get most if not all of the components working properly. Off to look up how to use clover and start testing.

Before I do anything too drastic though, just a couple of queries to which any help would be appreciated:

1) is there a way of viewing or accessing the bootlog (i.e. the text contained in verbose mode) so I can analyse it to identify any issues during boot? is the bootlog saved somewhere or are there commands to dump it to a text file somewhere?
2) can I back up my system (including the UEFI state) as it is now, prior to any clover additions, in a way that can be easily restored at a later date? as indicated above, multibeast kept causing the system to be unbeatable (even from the USB) and I'd have to somehow reset the bios and then reinstall Sierra, which is a time consuming process, especially if I'm going to be testing various kexts etc on a trial and error basis. I read somewhere that I can create a 'test' clover USB - would this approach leave my current installation untouched (including any UEFI stuff) and any temporary clover stuff from the USB not affect the currently bootable and clean system as it currently is?

Essentially, with regard to point 2) above, what's the best way of testing stuff out without having to start from scratch with a fresh Sierra install each time?

You can access , view and save a copy of your Clover boot log easily using "Clover Configurator" (https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/clover-configurator.328/) . As you may have already figured out that this is useful more for a retrospective analysis of a non-fatal booting problem where as a verbose boot flag (-v) can help you with concurrent analysis of a serious problem like Kernel Panics during installation. You know you can also view and edit your Clover Config.plist with this GUI tool, Clover Configurator.

If you want to analyze panics/crashes after installation on the hard disk, the Mac application "Console" from Applications Folder is a handy tool.

When you launch the Clover Configurator you can find an option to click : "Boot.log" shown under "Tools " on the Left Pane of this window toward its bottom 1/3rd. The displayed log can be copied or a copy generated and saved on the desktop to be opened and viewed later.

Hope this helps
The other important question posed has been already answered.

Thanks again guys. I'm getting there, slowly but surely. I've been installing additional functionality by various means, as follows:

HD530 graphics - installed by multibeast, then patched via Mac pixel clock patch v2 to get 2560x1440@60Hz - all working apart from artefact in top left (known issue)
HW monitor - installed by multibeast, including updated FakeSMC - all working

Integrated audio kind of works, thanks to Toleda's patch - I can get audio out of all my rear jacks but not the front headphone port. Any thoughts on this? is this a known issue?

HDMI audio works, again thanks to Toleda's patch, not that I'll use it.

My PCI firewire card seems to be working fine, after some initial concerns around pops and clicks I've stabilised it (so far) by running my DDR4 memory at stock speed (2133MHs) and not the XMP profile of 3000MHz - though I really need to test this out with Logic Pro or something (though discovered my proposed test copy of Logic Pro 9 isn't compatible with Sierra! doh! Will need to test with El Capitan to ascertain confidence in my current firewire setup before I purchase Logic Pro X)

I've not tried to login with my Apple ID yet, so not tried iMessage - given that my wifi and bluetooth both work OOB, is iMessage likely to work straight off or will I need to go through the fix (I know it exists but not read up on it yet)?

I've not tried Ethernet and have no intention of doing so - 5GHz wifi is fine for my purposes.

Finally, I've seen various approaches to dual booting - I assume it's possible to run both Windows and MacOS from the same drive (provided they are on different partitions) in UEFI mode? Though how does this work when my BIOS is set to 'Other OS' and not 'Windows UEFI'?

As a footnote, given that I'm feeling quite smug now at getting most of it running, I might consider reinstalling El Capitan as it seems by all accounts to be more stable at this point and doesn't suffer from HD530 artefacts, plus it works with Logic Pro 9. Unless Pascal web drivers are round the corner?!

Last edited:
Thanks again guys. I'm getting there, slowly but surely. I've been installing additional functionality by various means, as follows:

HD530 graphics - installed by multibeast, then patched via Mac pixel clock patch v2 to get 2560x1440@60Hz - all working apart from artefact in top left (known issue)

Integrated audio kind of works, thanks to Toleda's patch - I can get audio out of all my rear jacks but not the front headphone port. Any thoughts on this? is this a known issue?

My PCI firewire card seems to be working fine, after some initial concerns around pops and clicks I've stabilised it (so far) by running my DDR4 memory at stock speed (2133MHs) and not the XMP profile of 3000MHz - though I really need to test this out with Logic Pro or something (though discovered my proposed test copy of Logic Pro 9 isn't compatible with Sierra! doh! Will need to test with El Capitan to ascertain confidence in my current firewire setup before I purchase Logic Pro X)

I've not tried to login with my Apple ID yet, so not tried iMessage - given that my wifi and bluetooth both work OOB, is iMessage likely to work straight off or will I need to go through the fix (I know it exists but not read up on it yet)?

I've not tried Ethernet and have no intention of doing so - 5GHz wifi is fine for my purposes.

Finally, I've seen various approaches to dual booting - I assume it's possible to run both Windows and MacOS from the same drive (provided they are on different partitions) in UEFI mode? Though how does this work when my BIOS is set to 'Other OS' and not 'Windows UEFI'?

As a footnote, given that I'm feeling quite smug now at getting most of it running, I might consider reinstalling El Capitan as it seems by all accounts to be more stable at this point and doesn't suffer from HD530 artefacts, plus it works with Logic Pro 9. Unless Pascal web drivers are round the corner?!

Regarding dual/Multi booting , my approach is to use separate hard disks for each OS like Windows, Mac, Linux or Android . In the case of Triple booting Windows , Mac and Linux , Clover as a boot loader will provide a nice Boot Manager screen for us to choose any one of the 3. Advantage for this approach is minimizing the loss of systems in case of sudden unexpected Hard disk failure. If you have one HDD and two OS from different partitions, you can lose both OSes and prolonged down time with HDD failure.

You can certainly create multiple OSs each with its on partition in a SINGLE HDD and still run them using Clover as a Boot-loader. However,in my opinion, it involves more steps and re-runs with Mac Installer FD to reinstall the Clover boot-loader overwritten by Windows. In Desktop System I find muti-boot with Multiple Separate HDDs easier.

If you are using separate HDDs for each of the systems and want UEFI Boot mode (for UEFI and not Legacy BIOS), install Windows first, using a USB FD created with Rufus and your Windows OS system installation file saved on a PC. Once Windows installation is complete and up to date, it is best to disconnect the hard disk while installing Mac on the Second HDD [If you plan to add Linux , then install that before Mac]. Install , update and configure Mac system to run smoothly to your satisfaction. Then shut down the Computer and connect the other OS drive(s) . Make sure to Give Mac HDD the Number 1 boot Priority in your BIOS Setup. During reboot , press the Hotkey [F12 or F11 or whatever for your System] and Select the Mac Disk from the list. You may have to "clean up" this list as there could be 'bogus entries' [HowTo for that is a separate topic]
Good luck with Multi-booting.

By the way, according to the Forum rules [and the rules help us all to answer questions] your 'profile' is not complete. Please check this https://www.tonymacx86.com/rules/ and add the hardware details of your current system.

I wanted to help you with the "audio output' problem you mentioned in this post , but did not know the Motherboard details to help you.

I made a successful clean install of MacOS sierra with unibeast created installation USB.

My system is
Gigabyte Z68xp-ud4
cpu i5 2500K
Corsair 4 gb RAM
GPU ATI 6870HD
LEgacy boot

I install standalone clover (not with multibeast) but I cant boot from my HDD.

I tried many combinations of settings, mac definitions, multibeast installation etc but no success at all.

Only If I boot from USB and then select HDD can boot successfully.

If there any way to copy the EFI clover folder from my installation USB ? (USB installation disk was made with Unibeast)

Or to export USB clover settings in order to import to my HDD config.plst?

I can't see USB EFI folder. How can I mount USB EFI partition to my sierra Desktop in order to copy EFI folder?

If you created a USB Flash disk macOS Sierra Installer in Legacy mode and using it you've successfully installed the Sierra System on a Hard disk but cannot boot the hard disk without first booting through the USB Installer to reach the Clover Boot Manager screen and then switch to the Sierra Hard disk to login to your Desktop, your Sierra hard disk has no Clover Bootloader.

To install Clover boot-loader, V 2.3K r 3423 Legacy Boot Mode on your hard disk, the required hardware drivers [kexts] , System Definition, Graphics Configuration etc, you can use the one -in- many tool Multibeast 9. You need to
go to System Preferences>Security and Privacy >click open the Lock icon> Allow Apps downloaded from>Anywhere> before you can use Multibeast or the alternatives.
If you want to do all these steps separately , download and install the latest Stand alone Clover and then install needed kexts on your own using kext utilities [Ex: kext Wizard ] and configure your Clover Config.plist using Clover Configurator .

If you want to just copy and use the contents of your currently built USB installer to boot your Sierra hard disk you can do that too.

For that you have to boot to the desktop like you are doing now.

Once on the Desktop click Finder> Finder >Preferences> Under General place Check marks on all the boxes . Now your Hard disk and USB installer disk will be displayed on Desktop.

Uising Terminal [Applications>Utilities>Terminal] command "diskutil list" find your Installer FD and Sierra HD and EFI partition identifier [Ex: disk0s1 or whatever]

Using Clover Configuarator [Downloaded to your desktop] mount the EFI of your USB Installer [ Mount EFI on Left Panel>Mount EFI at bottom Right and then click on the EFI Partition of the USB installer from the list of several[you got the Identifier from Terminal in previous step]

See EFI green dot on Clover Configurator bottom and EFI folder on the desktop

Copy the EFI folder of the USB FD Installer.

Next you mount the EFI folder of the Sierra HD similarly

Open the EFI > and then rename the EFI Folder as EFI_bak and then paste the previously copied EFI as replacement.

Hope this helps.

By the way, according to the Forum rules [and the rules help us all to answer questions] your 'profile' is not complete. Please check this https://www.tonymacx86.com/rules/ and add the hardware details of your current system.

I wanted to help you with the "audio output' problem you mentioned in this post , but did not know the Motherboard details to help you.
Thanks - I thought I'd already done this? I put details of my hardware in my 'build signature' but have seen it's not appearing on my posts - do I need to activate this somehow?

You have to boot from your usb, whent you're at clover menu you choose "boot sierra from HD". Then you have to mount both the efi partition, and you have to copy and overwrite the EFI folder of your HD/SSD with the one in the USB... Then you can safely remopve your usb, and boot from your system drive.
(at least that's worked for me, and i'm pretty sure i was having your same or similar KP...) I thinks the kernel panic is related to the skylake processors and HD530 igpu :( Hoping for a fix soon
Hi, i have to overwrite HD efi with USB installer efi. I use efi mounter and two efi folders are able to mount , disk0 and disk1. But both are identical! A text says that the current boot is disk0 but i booted from USB to reach HD installation cause if i boot from HD it hangs in the progress bar. Help please.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back