Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Clevo 6-26-N14W3-B11
CPU
Intel i5-8520U
Graphics
Intel HD620
Hello, first time Hackintosh here, so please be patient with me.
I successfully booted and installed. The only post-install change I made was enabling BT/Wi-Fi, which succeeded.

Then I moved on to power management and brightness control. Thought I followed the guides closely, then rebooted in order to build cache and the boot failed.

I read problem reporting in the FAQ and attached photos of verbose boot result.
I'm unclear on how to get the relevant EFI/Clover off of the Hackintosh. Do I need to remove the internal drive and mount it externally?

Thanks in advance for the help!

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0078.jpg
    IMG_0078.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0080.jpg
    IMG_0080.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 45
Hello, first time Hackintosh here, so please be patient with me.
I successfully booted and installed. The only post-install change I made was enabling BT/Wi-Fi, which succeeded.

Then I moved on to power management and brightness control. Thought I followed the guides closely, then rebooted in order to build cache and the boot failed.

I read problem reporting in the FAQ and attached photos of verbose boot result.
I'm unclear on how to get the relevant EFI/Clover off of the Hackintosh. Do I need to remove the internal drive and mount it externally?

Thanks in advance for the help!

View attachment 348987
View attachment 348988

"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Hi RehabMan, thanks for your response.
At this time I have decided to start from scratch and do a fresh install on my drive.

For future possible support would you kindly be able to further explain the direction from the FAQ, or direct me to an example:

"Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (press F2 then F4 at main Clover screen just before collecting). Please eliminate 'themes' directory. Provide only EFI/Clover, not the entire EFI folder."

Please understand I'm fresh to this process-- I am unclear on how to "collect"/move the EFI/Clover data from the unbootable drive to a working system. I've verified that no fn+Fx combo is necessary to operate the key commands in Clover.
I just don't know what's supposed to happen, what "collecting" looks like.

I understand this is quite basic, any advice would be helpful. Thank you so much.

Update:
Upon re-doing everything, I realized I pasted the wrong patch into clover.plist /KextsToPatch for the brightness control. I'm sure that was my issue.

"Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (press F2 then F4 at main Clover screen just before collecting)."

^^ I'm still unclear on this process though. If someone could kindly explain this to me as if I were 12 years old I would be grateful. I don't want to waste anyone's time problem reporting in the future. Thanks.

Update:
Upon re-doing everything, I realized I pasted the wrong patch into clover.plist /KextsToPatch for the brightness control. I'm sure that was my issue.

"Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (press F2 then F4 at main Clover screen just before collecting)."

^^ I'm still unclear on this process though. If someone could kindly explain this to me as if I were 12 years old I would be grateful. I don't want to waste anyone's time problem reporting in the future. Thanks.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Hi again RehabMan.
Thank you, I understand that I did not attach EFI/Clover.
But I cannot report files I don't know how to collect. I've re-read "Problem Reporting" many times.

I'm simply asking for instruction. If this is an inappropriate place for that, I'm happy to approach a better thread or forum.

When I press F2 and then F4 at the main Clover screen, I just don't know where to find the files being dumped. I don't know how to get the EFI/Clover folder from the drive that's failing to boot in order to post it here. Do I have to remove the drive and use another system to explore the contents of the EFI partition?

I'm very confused in this regard.
Again, I'm no longer reporting an issue, just seeking clarification on the problem reporting methods for "unable to boot."

Thank you.

Hi again RehabMan.
Thank you, I understand that I did not attach EFI/Clover.
But I cannot report files I don't know how to collect. I've re-read "Problem Reporting" many times.

I'm simply asking for instruction. If this is an inappropriate place for that, I'm happy to approach a better thread or forum.

When I press F2 and then F4 at the main Clover screen, I just don't know where to find the files being dumped. I don't know how to get the EFI/Clover folder from the drive that's failing to boot in order to post it here. Do I have to remove the drive and use another system to explore the contents of the EFI partition?

I'm very confused in this regard.
Again, I'm no longer reporting an issue, just seeking clarification on the problem reporting methods for "unable to boot."

Thank you.

The gen_debug.sh script will collect EFI/Clover for you (assuming you installed Clover to the ESP correctly).

Mounting your EFI partition is covered in the FAQ. For the rest, I assume you know how to copy files/folders with Finder and use Finder's Compress function.

Thank you for your time and patience RehabMan. Yes I can manage the operating system just fine.
I'm just still gaining comfortability with everything under the hood.

You can close this thread as I was able to rectify my prior issue with a clean install.

One last question-- would copying my EFI folder to a backup drive prior to a failed reboot be the same thing as collecting after the reboot failed?
Or is there necessary data from the failure I wouldn't get by backing up beforehand?

Thanks again.

One last question-- would copying my EFI folder to a backup drive prior to a failed reboot be the same thing as collecting after the reboot failed?

No, because the EFI/Clover would lack current ACPI/origin and misc/preboot.log files (created by F2 and F4).
You should always have a USB that can boot your system for the case you make a mistake with EFI/Clover on HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back