CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 1060
Specs:
Intel Core i7 4790K processor
Asus Z87-WS motherboard
msi GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X graphics card

For some reason, sleep does not work in Sierra and High Sierra. Not sure what's to blame. Either the motherboard, or the graphics card.
Basically, it goes to sleep for a few seconds, but then it immediately kicks back on.
I've tried "darkwake=0" in Clover Configurator as well with no result.

Asus boards usually work with darkwake=1.

Have you configured your USB ports for macOS, i.e. created a custom USBPorts.kext or SSDT-UIAC.aml for your Z87 system? Sleep is as likely to be broken by an unexpected call to a USB port as anything else.

I assume with the Nvidia GTX 1060 you are using the NVIDIA Web Drivers.

Post a copy of your Clover or OpenCore boot folder, so we can see what you are using with your system.

Include a copy of the ACPI tables from your system, as the DSDT.aml will tell us a lot about which devices are present and which need help working with macOS. These can be obtained by pressing the 'F4' key while on the Clover boot screen. The tables will be saved to the /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder on your USB or macOS drive, whichever you are using to boot the system. This happens in the background with no indication anything is happening, so just press the 'F4' key and wait 30 seconds before booting your system, to give the system time to save the tables to the relevant folder.

If you are using Hackintool, the Utilities tab has a feature that enables you to download/Dump the ACPI tables to your desktop.

I have a number of Haswell systems, similar to yours. I might be able to shed some light on what can be tweaked to get your system running better.

Asus boards usually work with darkwake=1.

Have you configured your USB ports for macOS, i.e. created a custom USBPorts.kext or SSDT-UIAC.aml for your Z87 system? Sleep is as likely to be broken by an unexpected call to a USB port as anything else.

I assume with the Nvidia GTX 1060 you are using the NVIDIA Web Drivers.

Post a copy of your Clover or OpenCore boot folder, so we can see what you are using with your system.

Include a copy of the ACPI tables from your system, as the DSDT.aml will tell us a lot about which devices are present and which need help working with macOS. These can be obtained by pressing the 'F4' key while on the Clover boot screen. The tables will be saved to the /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder on your USB or macOS drive, whichever you are using to boot the system. This happens in the background with no indication anything is happening, so just press the 'F4' key and wait 30 seconds before booting your system, to give the system time to save the tables to the relevant folder.

If you are using Hackintool, the Utilities tab has a feature that enables you to download/Dump the ACPI tables to your desktop.

I have a number of Haswell systems, similar to yours. I might be able to shed some light on what can be tweaked to get your system running better.
I have not configured my USB ports for macOS.

Hey, I just checked, and I got the same issue for using a GeForce GT 610. Furthermore, I even went to the lengths of testing integrated graphics, and got the same result there too as well.

It's gotta be an issue with the motherboard, or some Clover settings.
I did completely vanilla too. With the exception of the BCM94360CD WiFi Buetooth card. I don't think that would cause or do anything though seeing as how that's a card officially supported by Apple.

I just tried with Yosemite and the GeForce GT 610. Same result there as well. It doesn't appear to be an OS directly related issue.

Last edited:
The Graphics card you are using will not make any difference to the sleep function. You are right about your motherboard being the issue. However, you are ignoring the fact that the USB ports are part of the motherboard and that they are not configured to work within Apple's 15 port limit. This is a really common problem, where people continue to use the Raise USB port limit patches beyond their intended use. Which if left unresolved will result in unexpected wake calls on the USB ports, preventing the system from sleeping.

Without your USB ports configured you will never get sleep to work!

I suggest you follow this guide by UtterDisbelief - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/ and configure your USB ports for macOS.

The USBMap.kext/USBPorts.kext that you generate will work in all versions of macOS. So changing the version of macOS/OSX you are booting will not matter, with regards your USB ports.

You are wrong about the Broadcom WiFi/BT card, as the Bluetooth is connected to a motherboard USB header port, it will most definitely have an impact on how your system behaves. Sleep not working being the main issue.

If nothing else configuring the USB ports will eliminate something from the mix, so you will know the USB ports are not the cause of the sleep issue.

Just be aware that a poorly configured USBPorts.kext or USBMap.kext can also cause sleep issues. When you have created a custom kext for your system, post a copy here so someone can cast an eye over the kext. You need to pay specific attention to make sure the port designations are correct. As a USB3 port designated as USB2, an Internal port designated as USB2 can make the kext not function as intended and cause more issues.

You are wrong about the Broadcom WiFi/BT card, as the Bluetooth is connected to a motherboard USB header port, it will most definitely have an impact on how your system behaves. Sleep not working being the main issue.
I forgot about that. I just tested though, removed it, and the issue still occurs. Disconnected from the header as well. I'm gonna see if I can try and test that guide you posted.

Without your USB ports configured you will never get sleep to work!

I suggest you follow this guide by UtterDisbelief - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/ and configure your USB ports for macOS.

The USBMap.kext/USBPorts.kext that you generate will work in all versions of macOS. So changing the version of macOS/OSX you are booting will not matter, with regards your USB ports.
Made a post here:

if you can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back