Contribute
Register

Should I Use the Latest Version of Clover to Update from High Sirra to Mojave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am wanting to update an old Ivy Bridge based system from High Sierra to Mojave so it will run the latest InDesign. Should I use the latest version of Clover (which appears to be 5126), or an older version (my system is currently running 4586)?

Also, my system definition is iMac12,2. I understand I need to change this to 14,2. Can I just change this in Clover Configurator and be all good (I don't think I need the App Store or Messages, etc. at this point)?

TIA

my system definition is iMac12,2. I understand I need to change this to 14,2. Can I just change this in Clover Configurator and be all good
Yes, you can use 14,2 but know that iMac 2013 SMBIOS was dropped from Big Sur Support if you ever want to upgrade that far. Use Clover Configurator SMBIOS section and select iMac 14,2 and it will populate all the info for you. Your old serials and SMUUID will be replaced with new ones.

Yes, you can use 14,2 but know that iMac 2013 SMBIOS was dropped from Big Sur Support if you ever want to upgrade that far. Use Clover Configurator SMBIOS section and select iMac 14,2 and it will populate all the info for you. Your old serials and SMUUID will be replaced with new ones.
OK thanks. I won't be updating it to Big Sur. I have an M1 based Mac Mini on order but it won't ship until the last week of December (I went with the 16 GB version--if I had ordered the 8 GB version it would have shipped today!). In the meantime, I have clients sending InDesign files in the latest version, so that's why I need Mojave right away.

So will the latest Clover be OK? Or do I need to use an older version?

Also, was that where APFS became a thing, or am I still OK to use MacOS extended journaled?

So will the latest Clover be OK? Or do I need to use an older version?
No don't use the latest r5126 or whatever it is. It won't work with Mojave. Use whatever version Unibeast for Mojave uses and it will work for a Mojave install.

Also, was that where APFS became a thing, or am I still OK to use MacOS extended journaled?
Use extended journaled to format your SSD drive, the installer will take care of converting to APFS automatically.

Oops. I jumped the gun and updated Clover to 5126. Is there a way to boot into the backup that gets saved onto my boot drive?

Is there a way to boot into the backup that gets saved onto my boot drive?
Try putting r5102 onto your flash drive and boot from that.
It should be available in downloads.

OK I went to v2.5k r5102 like you said and also changed the SMBIOS to 14,2. However, my SSD seems really slow since I made the SMBIOS change. Is there a fix for that? For example, it says the initial part of the install, where it temporarily copies the files to the drive, it says it's going to take 2 hours and 50 minutes. Should be just a few minutes.

I notice that 14,2 is for an i7 processor, and my setup has an i5. Could that be causing the slowdown? Would I be better off using 14,1 or even going to 13,1 or 13,2 both of which are i5 iMacs?

Last edited:
I notice that 14,2 is for an i7 processor, and my setup has an i5. Could that be causing the slowdown? Would I be better off using 14,1 or even going to 13,1 or 13,2 both of which are i5 iMacs?
The 14,2 SMBIOS doesn't cause that slowdown. For a Kaby Lake system I would use iMac 17,1 instead.

The 14,2 SMBIOS doesn't cause that slowdown. For a Kaby Lake system I would use iMac 17,1 instead.
I'm sorry for the confusion caused by my signature and profile. The system I'm trying to get help for in this thread is a work computer (the others are my personal machines) and it's based on Ivy Bridge
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
GIGABYTE GA-Z77N-WIFI LGA 1155 Intel Z77 mini-ITX Motherboard

SUCCESS! I successfully updated to Mojave.
Thank you @trs96 for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back