Contribute
Register

Should I upgrade my CPU fan to a Liquid or Regular? (Normal User)

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
i3
Graphics
GT 640
Hey there,

So with my build, I don't use it for gaming or anything hardcore. I use my computer solely for work and browsing. So for the last 4 years now I have left the stock cpu fan on it. I am finally thinking of upgrading the CPU cooler and was wondering if I can get some advice from you guys on which one to get. I know the stock fan should be sufficient for my current usage, but I like leaving my computer on for long periods and really hoping to have this computer for a really long time. Do you think getting upgrading in general is a waste of money or even a bigger waste to get a Corsair Hydro Series CPU fan? I will attach a photo of my computer cpu fan. lol

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-RR-212E-20PK-R2/dp/B005O65JXI

or

Corsair Hydro Series High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H60
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Series-Performance-Liquid-Cooler/dp/B00A0HZMGA

Attachments

• IMG_1732.jpg
    IMG_1732.jpg
    918.5 KB · Views: 125
If the current one is doing the job and not too noisy for you why not just save
the $ ? One of the two alternative coolers are necessary if you game or overclock for
faster performance, but you aren't. I'd keep the Intel cooler for now. If you have a
system over 4-5 years old it's a good idea to apply some new thermal paste and reseat
the cooler. Of course remove the old paste first with 99% isopropyl alcohol and clean
thoroughly.

If the current one is doing the job and not too noisy for you why not just save
the $ ? One of the two alternative coolers are necessary if you game or overclock for
faster performance, but you aren't. I'd keep the Intel cooler for now. If you have a
system over 4-5 years old it's a good idea to apply some new thermal paste and reseat
the cooler. Of course remove the old paste first with 99% isopropyl alcohol and clean
thoroughly.

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it. I always leave my computer on. It's always around 50 C, so I know it stupid but I assumed that have a good cpu fan might increase longevity of the computer. So it's not worth it, to even upgrade it to the cooler masters one I posted? Also is it bad that I had my computer for like 4 years now and haven't put new thermal paste? Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it. I always leave my computer on. It's always around 50 C, so I know it stupid but I assumed that have a good cpu fan might increase longevity of the computer. So it's not worth it, to even upgrade it to the cooler masters one I posted? Also is it bad that I had my computer for like 4 years now and haven't put new thermal paste? Thanks again.

50 C is higher than most of the newer "Core I" cpus will run at but it's about normal for the
earlier versions. Ideally you would idle at under 40 C.

You could try and add a case fan to get better airflow if you are short on those.
Not bad that you haven't changed TP. Just use a good brand like Arctic MX4 and
follow directions for removal and application.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186038

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back