Contribute
Register

Should I install Sierra or El Capitan on my 5 year old hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte > Need full model # > See Rules!
CPU
i7 > Need full model # > See Rules!
Graphics
Nvidia > Need model # > See Rules!
I have a 5 year old hackintosh I build back in 2011. I'm a computer noob and am just hoping to use Apple Logic on my machine.

My computer details are below. Would this build support Sierra? I'm thinking of using the same Apple Logic version I got back in 2011 too.

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Intel i7-950 3.2GHz
Gigabyte HD 6870 1GB
Corsair 12GB RAM
Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling
120GB Callisto SSM + 1TB Samsung HDD (for OSX), 60GB Callisto SSM + 1TB Samsung HDD (for Win 7)

Your hardware is capable of running Sierra with a System Definition of iMac 14,2 or MacPro5,1.
Mac Pro5,1 requires a patch in Clover to prevent KP from AppleTyMCEDriver kext to install - not a big deal.

You might want to check to make sure your version of Logic will run on Sierra before upgrading. You might have to update to latest version Logic to run it on Sierra.

Your hardware is capable of running Sierra with a System Definition of iMac 14,2 or MacPro5,1.
Mac Pro5,1 requires a patch in Clover to prevent KP from AppleTyMCEDriver kext to install - not a big deal.

Hi, I've been hounding people for the last few days about this - for an X58a-UD3r system, with the spec shown in my sig, could you tell me what bootlegs I need to run to get to the installer, please, Going Bald, and what I need in my EFI config list that's different to try perfect working El Cap one? Thanks a million in advance.

Hi, I've been hounding people for the last few days about this - for an X58a-UD3r system, with the spec shown in my sig, could you tell me what bootlegs I need to run to get to the installer, please, Going Bald, and what I need in my EFI config list that's different to try perfect working El Cap one? Thanks a million in advance.

Id hold off upgrading to Sierra atm. Its not ready and riddled with bugs.

You might want to check to make sure your version of Logic will run on Sierra before upgrading. You might have to update to latest version Logic to run it on Sierra.

Thanks for the insight Going Bald.

I've been reading up on Logic and compatibility for my Audio Interface, I have a FireWire 410 from 2009/2010 or so, and that seems to be the weakest link. I think I'm going to have to use my Snow Leopard CD, and just reinstall that OS. That interface lost support after El Capitan... maybe I should update to a more recent version however? (Like Yosemite).

I'm thinking maybe best to go with what worked. I'm using the hackintosh for recording music, and nothing professional, just for myself, a microphone and 2nd input for guitar / piano to lay tracks.

The only problem I have now is I can't find my Logic 9 Academic Version CD's... But I guess buying a copy of that off eBay is cheaper than a new Audio Interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back