Contribute
Register

Should I get an ASRock or Gigabyte H77/Z77?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Hackintosh Prodigy
CPU
Intel Core i5 3570K
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I posted a more general and longer question in Hardware Discussion but nobody has responded so I'm posting here. I'm getting an Ivy Bridge Intel Core i5 at Micro Center and I've heard that they offer $40 off when you buy a motherboard with your CPU! So here's my situation. I could buy the ASRock H77 mITX board($95) when I buy my i5 at Micro Center and get the $40 off making it only $55. My second option is just to spend around $110 at Micro Center after $40 savings and get the Gigabyte Z77-Wifi mITX, which would enable me to over clock. I want my system to work well so paying $55 more for that won't be a problem, but hey, if I can save the money why not? I have a few questions that will affect my choice.

My Questions:

1) Do the ASRock board work as well as Gigabyte ones?
2) Is it worth $55 to over clock?
3) If I buy my BitFenix Prodigy at Micro Center will they offer more of a discount?

Thanks to everyone in advance for the help,
HyperMac5

The overclocking might not be worth it, but I'd go for the Gigabyte because it's the more readily compatible with OSX of the two. The ASRock should work, but you will have to flash a modded BIOS. Also, check to make sure that it has a Realtek sound chipset and an Intel, Realtek, or Atheros LAN chipset. Could you post a link to the ASRock board? For $55 less, I'd say it's probably got more differences than just a brand name. It also appears that they offer the Prodigy for $5 less than Newegg. It really is a great store! That motherboard/CPU discount is fantastic - I took advantage of it myself.

Microcenter does offer more Gigabyte choices for mATX and ATX size motherboards

The overclocking might not be worth it, but I'd go for the Gigabyte because it's the more readily compatible with OSX of the two. The ASRock should work, but you will have to flash a modded BIOS. Also, check to make sure that it has a Realtek sound chipset and an Intel, Realtek, or Atheros LAN chipset. Could you post a link to the ASRock board? For $55 less, I'd say it's probably got more differences than just a brand name. It also appears that they offer the Prodigy for $5 less than Newegg. It really is a great store! That motherboard/CPU discount is fantastic - I took advantage of it myself.
This was it: http://www.microcenter.com/product/392374/H77M-ITX_LGA1155_H77_mini_ITX_Intel_Motherboard
I think I'm going to go with Gigabyte's Z77 because it's so reliable!
Microcenter does offer more Gigabyte choices for mATX and ATX size motherboards
I know I just really like the BitFenix Prodigy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back