Contribute
Register

Should I get 10.6.8 working, or jump to 10.8 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 (UEFI BIOS)
CPU
Intel Core i7-2600K
Graphics
GTX 560 Ti
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm currently trying to get 10.6.8 installed and functioning on my Hackintosh. I'm a complete n00b and I'm afraid I don't know very much about what I'm doing. Would you recommend I figure out my problems with 10.6.8 first, or should I move on and try to get 10.8 Mountain Lion working instead? (I preemptively included my installation history below if that helps any.) From what I've read on this forum my graphics card (Nvidia GTX560Ti ) doesn't play well with Snow Leopard, but does play nice with Mountain Lion which is why I want to upgrade sooner or later.

System:
Motherboard: Z68XP-UD3
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
Graphics: Nvidia GTX560Ti

Current Problems with 10.6.8:
Right now 10.6.8 will "work" but only when launched from iBoot. I put work in quotation marks because it's very unstable. The ethernet always stops working after a minute or two, and sometimes I can't even get discs to eject. If I try to boot from the HD then I always get a kernel panic.

History of my Installation So Far:
1. I followed the initial installation guide (this one) up to the point of partitioning the hard drive (aka. Step 1 + Step 2 #1 - 10)
2. I divided my HD into 2 partitions.
3. I continued following those same directions and installed 10.6.3 to both partitions. (Step 2, #11 - 18)
4. Then I used iBoot and booted from partition 2.
5. From partition 2, I downloaded and installed these programs onto partition 1.
- UpdateHelper
- 10.6.8 Combo Update (without rebooting)
6. Still without rebooting and still running from the OS installed on partition 1, I downloaded and launched "MultiBeast - Snow Leopard 3.10.1", and did "UserDSDT Install" only. On the desktop I had the file DSDT-GA-Z68XP-UD3-F10.aml as the program requires.
===At this point I was able to reboot up the computer into 10.6.8 without using iBoot.===
However, the ethernet and sound weren't working so...
7. I launched MultiBeast again and this time I checked the boxes next to...
- UserDSDT Install
- System Utilities
- Drivers & Bootloaders > Kexts & Enablers > Audio > Universal
- Drivers & Bootloaders > Kexts & Enablers > Network > Realtek Gigabit Ethernet 2.0.6

After I did this, I was no longer able to boot 10.6.8 without iBoot, and after I boot it the system becomes unstable just as I mentioned above. Any advice?

Help getting Ethernet working?

I've found that the kext for Ethernet that I installed on my machine doesn't work, is there an easy way to erase it and try one of the other Ethernet kexts?
I have 10.6.8 installed on my machine and I can boot to it without using iBoot, but the Ethernet doesn't work on it. My motherboard is a Z68XP-UD3 and I found someone else who had success using MultiBeast to install the "Realtek Gigabit Ethernet 2.0.6" kext. I tried that and now the internet works for about 30 seconds, but then it stops and I have to force quit Safari.

There's only 3 kext files for Ethernet included in Multibeast and I'm hoping one of the other ones will work.

What does it take to remove the current kext file for Ethernet and try installing a different one?

Any help or advice would greatly appreciated!!! :)

I'm currently trying to get 10.6.8 installed and functioning on my Hackintosh. I'm a complete n00b and I'm afraid I don't know very much about what I'm doing. Would you recommend I figure out my problems with 10.6.8 first, or should I move on and try to get 10.8 Mountain Lion working instead? (I preemptively included my installation history below if that helps any.) From what I've read on this forum my graphics card (Nvidia GTX560Ti ) doesn't play well with Snow Leopard, but does play nice with Mountain Lion which is why I want to upgrade sooner or later.

System:
Motherboard: Z68XP-UD3
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
Graphics: Nvidia GTX560Ti

Current Problems with 10.6.8:
Right now 10.6.8 will "work" but only when launched from iBoot. I put work in quotation marks because it's very unstable. The ethernet always stops working after a minute or two, and sometimes I can't even get discs to eject. If I try to boot from the HD then I always get a kernel panic.

History of my Installation So Far:
1. I followed the initial installation guide (this one) up to the point of partitioning the hard drive (aka. Step 1 + Step 2 #1 - 10)
2. I divided my HD into 2 partitions.
3. I continued following those same directions and installed 10.6.3 to both partitions. (Step 2, #11 - 18)
4. Then I used iBoot and booted from partition 2.
5. From partition 2, I downloaded and installed these programs onto partition 1.
- UpdateHelper
- 10.6.8 Combo Update (without rebooting)
6. Still without rebooting and still running from the OS installed on partition 1, I downloaded and launched "MultiBeast - Snow Leopard 3.10.1", and did "UserDSDT Install" only. On the desktop I had the file DSDT-GA-Z68XP-UD3-F10.aml as the program requires.
===At this point I was able to reboot up the computer into 10.6.8 without using iBoot.===
However, the ethernet and sound weren't working so...
7. I launched MultiBeast again and this time I checked the boxes next to...
- UserDSDT Install
- System Utilities
- Drivers & Bootloaders > Kexts & Enablers > Audio > Universal
- Drivers & Bootloaders > Kexts & Enablers > Network > Realtek Gigabit Ethernet 2.0.6

After I did this, I was no longer able to boot 10.6.8 without iBoot, and after I boot it the system becomes unstable just as I mentioned above. Any advice?

B_Free

If you have no need for SL ( Software dependencies) then Yes move to ML.

Would Suggest a Separate HD for this - as it is the easiest method.
Surprised you have issues w SL on this hardware - I do understand the issues w the 560ti and SL - and if your using onboard video
that is HD3000 then it should work - Do be advised that your BIOS and DSDT file should match version number wise. And some older BIOS work better that newer. FYI:

As to the OSX combo updates - to get to the Apple App store any of the three should work that being the Combo Update 10.6.6 or 10.6.7 or 10.6.9

Here is a modified installer that I have used and works well.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
How to do a sandybridge cpu w compatible hardware OSX hack 10.6.8 build. jester969

Typical installation steps are:
1) iBoot + Disk Utility + install Snow Leopard DVD (perform install via DVD) reboot
2) iBoot + Installed OSX HDD (boot with iBoot and loading OS via newly installed HDD) - get welcome screen
3) Run Update Helper and Reboot?
4) iBoot + Installed OSX HDD, run combo update 10.6.8 , DO NOT reboot ( your choice as to which version you use mine is 10.6.7)
5) Run Multibeast and select option which are required to your board and run System Utilities.
6) Reboot w/out iBoot

Audio/Ethernet/DSDT

DSDT and BIOS firmware must match to the corresponding number.

Help getting Ethernet working?

I've found that the kext for Ethernet that I installed on my machine doesn't work, is there an easy way to erase it and try one of the other Ethernet kexts?
I have 10.6.8 installed on my machine and I can boot to it without using iBoot, but the Ethernet doesn't work on it. My motherboard is a Z68XP-UD3 and I found someone else who had success using MultiBeast to install the "Realtek Gigabit Ethernet 2.0.6" kext. I tried that and now the internet works for about 30 seconds, but then it stops and I have to force quit Safari.

There's only 3 kext files for Ethernet included in Multibeast and I'm hoping one of the other ones will work.

What does it take to remove the current kext file for Ethernet and try installing a different one?

Any help or advice would greatly appreciated!!! :)

B_Free

I think you have the Realtek 8111 ethernet chip - should look on the MB to find it.

Suggest you use this one as well - you will need to delete the kexts for each version as we dont want then laying around.

Also when you install from MultiBeast you need to use the System Utilities option in MB before reboot - also when you reboot use these command switches

-v -f PCIRootUID=0

if you have not Video card ( using onboard vid) if you have a video card that is SL approved then set it to '1"

If neither get working try this link http://www.osx86.net/view/2677-realtek_snow_leopard-lion-mountain_[02_...html
and use a Kext install tool like Kext helper or other app that you launch - copy kexts to desktop icon and done.

Awesome! Thank you very much, it seems to be working now. I really appreciate your help!

Awesome! Thank you very much, it seems to be working now. I really appreciate your help!

B_Free

So the link in post 4 worked then and solved the problems.

Let us Know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back