Contribute
Register

Should I buy a DELL Precision Workstaion T7910 or an HP Z840 for Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus
CPU
Intel
Graphics
nVidia
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey Guys,

I'm a loooong time Mac user, and I have some Macbook Pros, iMacs and a Mac Pro Trashcan in house. But recently, I start to consider building a hackintosh that could have more power over the Apple hardware.

But rather than building a system from the ground up, I would prefer to buy company-built sub-systems, and then add the CPUs, graphic cards and memory chips by myself. I think this way, I can save a lot of time and will have less headaches.

The sub-systems I am considering now are:

DELL Precision Workstation T7910
HP Z840 Workstation

I can find sellers of both systems, and purchase without CPUs, memory chips or graphic cards, which I will purchase seperatly.

I am considering the following parts to be installed into the sub-systems mentioned above:

CPU - Intel Xeon E5-2676 v3 x 2
GPU - nVidia G Force Titan X x 1 -or- AMD Gury X x2
Memory - 128GB DDR4

I would also like to install the optional Thunderbolt 2 expention cards both companies offer.

Anyone has tested any of the above configurations yet? Any problems that I should be aware of?

Thank you in advance!

Kevin

Hello and welcome to the forum. Another option you have is to choose the hardware
yourself and have a professional PC building shop put it together for you. That way
you can choose a more compatible motherboard and the case and PSU that best
meets your needs. Those workstations are high quality hardware but neither has
a Gigabyte or Asus motherboard that is listed in the Buyer's Guide. There also aren't
any User Build guides for you to follow for the T7910 and possibly a few partial guides
for the HP Z840. A good well written guide to follow is essential for success, especially
when using a Xeon CPU. If you went with an X99 Gigabyte board and a V3 Xeon like
the E5-2670 V3 you could follow the numerous guides for the X99-UD4 which many
have fully working now. Choosing a pre built workstation wil make your job of getting
a fully working install of OS X more difficult to accomplish. Especially, a dual Xeon build
is not a good choice if you are completely new to this approach.

Hi Fankefang… I am almost like with the same ambition of a dual CPU with that Dell… Did you succeed in getting any confirmation?

Second this. This machine is pretty sick, but without OS X it feels handicaped.

Hey Guys,

I'm a loooong time Mac user, and I have some Macbook Pros, iMacs and a Mac Pro Trashcan in house. But recently, I start to consider building a hackintosh that could have more power over the Apple hardware.

But rather than building a system from the ground up, I would prefer to buy company-built sub-systems, and then add the CPUs, graphic cards and memory chips by myself. I think this way, I can save a lot of time and will have less headaches.

The sub-systems I am considering now are:

DELL Precision Workstation T7910
HP Z840 Workstation

I can find sellers of both systems, and purchase without CPUs, memory chips or graphic cards, which I will purchase seperatly.

I am considering the following parts to be installed into the sub-systems mentioned above:

CPU - Intel Xeon E5-2676 v3 x 2
GPU - nVidia G Force Titan X x 1 -or- AMD Gury X x2
Memory - 128GB DDR4

I would also like to install the optional Thunderbolt 2 expention cards both companies offer.

Anyone has tested any of the above configurations yet? Any problems that I should be aware of?

Thank you in advance!

Kevin

Hi Guys..!

I just replied to a different thread(sorry can't seem to link to the other post Posts #1193127). I've been trying everything and gettin stuck. If anyone can help I have two high end HP workstations (Z820/Z840) and would to get one or both running OS X..!)

Cheers..!

I have a Dell Precision T5600 with two Xeon E5-2687Ws and 128GB DDR3 ECC Ram. The machine is pretty awesome for video work and not an insane pain however does have some problems regarding SATA ports. However, with your machine i'd recommend a virtual machine running mac os, as you clearly have the CPU and Ram power for a linux os with a Mac OS Virtual machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back