Contribute
Register

Should copying EFI from USB to SSD always work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68AP-D3
CPU
i7-2600
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So my problem is, after installing Catalina (with EFI from Mojave copied to USB EFI, which is the thing that finally allowed me to finish installation without black screen), I ran Multibeast, installed kexts and setup config. But trying to boot from SSD results in black screen. I tried numerous things so far, ben at it for days now.

Booting from USB works great, Metal support, both HDMI work etc...
I tried copying that EFI form USB to SSD... but the problem persists
I also tried just copying some things from USB, like kexts I didn't install and drivers, but no luck.

Shouldn't the EFI that works on USB also work on SSD, or am I missing something?

So my problem is, after installing Catalina (with EFI from Mojave copied to USB EFI, which is the thing that finally allowed me to finish installation without black screen), I ran Multibeast, installed kexts and setup config. But trying to boot from SSD results in black screen. I tried numerous things so far, ben at it for days now.

Booting from USB works great, Metal support, both HDMI work etc...
I tried copying that EFI form USB to SSD... but the problem persists
I also tried just copying some things from USB, like kexts I didn't install and drivers, but no luck.

Shouldn't the EFI that works on USB also work on SSD, or am I missing something?
try deleting the EFI folder from the hard drive EFI partition

then copy EFI folder from USB EFI partition to hard drive EFI partition

try deleting the EFI folder from the hard drive EFI partition

then copy EFI folder from USB EFI partition to hard drive EFI partition
Thanks, I did try that multiple times, emptying the bin just in case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back