Contribute
Register

Share Your Backup and Cloning Strategies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gravewyrm said:
CCC for every install i have done after my first stable 10.6.8 install. Once that was done, i used CCC to create my first (and "base") install for Lion, to a USB drive, 8GiB.

Once that was created, i used MultiBeast and installed EasyBeast to said USB stick, and used DisK Utility in OS X to repair the USB stick. Due to that one simple precaution, i have managed to ALWAYS have a bootable, installable "Recovery"system for myself.

Ive used CCC to make clones to a second 1TB drive of my existing installs for every update that Apple releases. Once the Clone is created i again use MultiBeast to install EasyBeast to the cloned drive. Once the Cloned drive is exactly identical to my main drive, down to a bootloader and everything, i disconnect it, and remove it from my rig.

This "Dual Image" method of mine, has proven to be very handy. I use seperate HDD's for different things. Win7 has its own dedicated 1TB drive, as does OS X. Dual booting, and using Windows System Restore to set up restore points for Windows, and CCC for OS X has proven to be quite functional, and stable.

~~Cheers, Grave.

I use this method also.
CCC is the best!

I have my OS and Applications files on an SSD. I have my user accounts (home folders) a separate disk so i can easily reinstall or modify the OS without having to worry about changing the data.

SSD cloned with SuperSuper! to an internal drive with multiple partitions for various versions
Data backed up locally with TimeMachine
Data backed up remotely with Backblaze - no one has mentiomed this yet but for $5 per month you can get unlimited remote storage.

I am.considering a drobo or similiar because i need a larger time machine backup.

Damon

shibirian said:
If I see this right, then no one is using Dropbox? :)

:think: p.s.: 500 posts ... yay, popcorn! :shifty:

I wouldn't use Dropbox for backups. First off, not enough space even with buying the 100G plan. I'm backing up approx 200G with my Crashplan setup.

And second, the data in Dropbox isn't encrypted. So if they got hacked the hacker could see the data. Or Dropbox themselves could see it.

Crashplan that I use, encrypts the data before transmission, even on a local backup to a connected USB drive.

Crashplan has saved my butt a few times, esp the time I was trying to expand the array in Windows and oops.. no more array. And no more wife's term paper for school. Crashplan for the win that day. After booking a 1-way ticket out of the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back