Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
Hello all !

I'm currently working/researching on Sleep mode problems on 6-Series UEFI MB's on Mountain Lion. :geek: I recently discovered (personal discovery, maybe someone found this before me) that using your Hackintosh as a Server by Sharing files via SMB and having a PC connected to that shared drive/folder/file breaks sleep. :idea:

This is what happens, on a local network composed of a Hack Pro, a Powermac G4, a Macbook Air 13', a desktop PC (WinVista) and a laptop PC (win7) ; all these devices are connected to... lets say a shared & empty drive on your Hack :

-On your server's side : When your Hackintosh tries to go to sleep in any kind of way (Auto, keyboard key, Apple Menu, Sleep-Enabling application), the screen goes off, but your fans keep running.

-On the other Mac's side : The Macbook Air is programed to connect to the shared drive each time it sees it. (via Accounts.prefpane>logon>startup apps/volumes maybe not the exact terms, my Os's are in french]) When the server goes to sleep, the Shared drive simply disconnects. It sees it again when it "sort-of" logins. (Wake-from-sleep or boot, maybe it doesn't need to login again and detects the drive directly [have not tested that yet] ).

-On the PCs' side : These PC's are connected to the drives via Explorer>Map Network Drive. When the Hack server goes to sleep, the drives seem disconnected.

In fact, the Map Network Drive is the factor causing issues. When not connected to permanent network drives, everything goes fine.

So, I wanted to know if anybody as done research of this kind, if anybody is experiencing these issues, or if someone is making this network setup working.

Note that I use Darkwake=Yes. Maybe this is a factor. Please tell me.

Thanks for helping, and I sincerly hope I can/could help you.
Clovel :)

I use Mountain Lion not the Server version, but in file sharing for my other non OSX home PC, my Gigabyte mobo with M.lion refuse to do autosleep, no matter what I tried. Manualy it goes to sleep and wakes up just fine.
Until I found this : http://www.dragonone.com/products/macosx/pleasesleep/
Works perfectly for me. Autosleep is no longer an issue for me.
Hope will work for you too.

Have a nice day.
Kordoba

Hi

Well this does not solve my problem, as it's not directly related. What I'm trying to do is make sleep work correclty with server usage. Pleasesleep actually breaks sleep - in my case - when I share a Server Drive.

Any help or feedback is accepted, and thanks for your suggestion !
Clovel

I use darkwake=yes, but for me it was the same with or without UEFI.

When I manually put the computer to sleep, it enters the S3 state as it should (i.e. looks like it's shut down). However, when I let the computer lapse into auto-sleep, it does as you described: the screen turns off, but everything else stays up and running.

I'd love a solution so let me know if I can assist you in any way!

Hi ! Thanks for your info !

Well, I'm doing more research. So I look for things that breaks sleep. Be free to give info.

Do you share any folders on your hackintosh with other computers ?

Thanks,
Clovel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back