Radeon HD 6870
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

So far, whenever I've had a problem with my farily-new hackintosh, I've been able to find a solution by browsing the forums. Unfortunately, this evening I believe I've come across a problem that nobody else has. Here goes:

I installed the 10.6.8 Combo Update, and while doing so I ran the MultiBeast package as I normally would. I heard that you may need to reinstall some of the kexts, so I was checking those off when all of a sudden the installers quit! They just disappeared. I tried reopening them again but had no luck.

I tried to restart via the Apple menu, no dice. I tried shutting down via the Apple menu, and again no dice. So I did a hard shut down. This was the last time I used OSX on this PC.

When I rebooted, a clicking sound started to come out of the case. Kind of like the clicking of a hard disk, but louder. As soon as I prevented the instant menu from loading OSX it stopped.

When I got OSX to open, it got stuck on the grey apple. Here's what I've tried since:

Booting the OSX partition (stuck on the apple)
Booting the OSX partition in safe mode (-x) (stuck on apple)
Booting the OSX partition using PCIrootUID=1 (stuck on apple)
Booting the Snow Leopard Retail DVD via iBoot (Kernal Panic)
Booting the Snow Leopard Retail DVD via iBoot in safe mode (KP)
Booting the Snow Leopard Retail DVD via iBoot using PCIrootUID=1 (KP)

and also -x PCIrootUID=1 in both cases. Snow Leopard is being really stubborn with this one. Windows 7 and Linux, however, are working fine. I can access my OSX partition from here, and the hard drive clicking only occurs on startup (from the end of the BIOS flash to the point where I tell OSX not to auto-boot).

Is there anything I haven't tried? I'm getting a little desperate, but I certainly haven't lost my patients. Any help would be very appreciated. Here are my specs:

Asus P7P55D-E Pro Mobo
Intel Core i7 870
MSI N460GTX Cyclone
2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaws RAM
WD Caviar Black 1TB HD
(GUID Partitioned with OSX, Win 7, Ubuntu Linux)

I used the EasyBeast install with the following kexts:

ACPIMonitor
AppleACPIThermal
FakeSMC
FakeSMCIntelMonitor
IntelCPUMonitor
JMicron36xATA
JMicron36xSATA
LegacyAppleRTC
NullCPUPowerManagement
NVEnabler64
SMCITEController
SuperIOFamily
VoodooHDA

maximusprimus said:
Hi all,

So far, whenever I've had a problem with my farily-new hackintosh, I've been able to find a solution by browsing the forums. Unfortunately, this evening I believe I've come across a problem that nobody else has. Here goes:

I installed the 10.6.8 Combo Update, and while doing so I ran the MultiBeast package as I normally would. I heard that you may need to reinstall some of the kexts, so I was checking those off when all of a sudden the installers quit! They just disappeared. I tried reopening them again but had no luck.

I tried to restart via the Apple menu, no dice. I tried shutting down via the Apple menu, and again no dice. So I did a hard shut down. This was the last time I used OSX on this PC.

When I rebooted, a clicking sound started to come out of the case. Kind of like the clicking of a hard disk, but louder. As soon as I prevented the instant menu from loading OSX it stopped.

When I got OSX to open, it got stuck on the grey apple. Here's what I've tried since:

Booting the OSX partition (stuck on the apple)
Booting the OSX partition in safe mode (-x) (stuck on apple)
Booting the OSX partition using PCIrootUID=1 (stuck on apple)
Booting the Snow Leopard Retail DVD via iBoot (Kernal Panic)
Booting the Snow Leopard Retail DVD via iBoot in safe mode (KP)
Booting the Snow Leopard Retail DVD via iBoot using PCIrootUID=1 (KP)

and also -x PCIrootUID=1 in both cases. Snow Leopard is being really stubborn with this one. Windows 7 and Linux, however, are working fine. I can access my OSX partition from here, and the hard drive clicking only occurs on startup (from the end of the BIOS flash to the point where I tell OSX not to auto-boot).

Is there anything I haven't tried? I'm getting a little desperate, but I certainly haven't lost my patients. Any help would be very appreciated. Here are my specs:

Asus P7P55D-E Pro Mobo
Intel Core i7 870
MSI N460GTX Cyclone
2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaws RAM
WD Caviar Black 1TB HD
(GUID Partitioned with OSX, Win 7, Ubuntu Linux)

I used the EasyBeast install with the following kexts:

ACPIMonitor
AppleACPIThermal
FakeSMC
FakeSMCIntelMonitor
IntelCPUMonitor
JMicron36xATA
JMicron36xSATA
LegacyAppleRTC
NullCPUPowerManagement
NVEnabler64
SMCITEController
SuperIOFamily
VoodooHDA

Try booting with -x -v PciRoot=1.

You're also bloating your installation with a bunch of kext files that in my opinion aren't really doing much more to make your system run better.

The only things that you need to install from MultiBeast to have a booting system are FakeSMC and Chimera/Chameleon.

Everything else is optional/non-necessary boot options.

Once you have your install going, test sleep via the Apple Menu.

*** Make sure you install the NVIDIA driver update before restarting after you patch your system with MultiBeast.

Take a look at my video guide in my signature for the minimal options for a P7P55D series installation.

First of all, thanks for the reply. I was able boot the SL retail DVD via the -x -v PciRoot=1 boot exception and was able to reinstall 10.6. Once I did, I ran the 10.6.8 update again and the same thing happened - it quit along with MultiBeast. However this time I was able to reopen MultiBeast. When I ran the installer, it said that the installation failed, but didn't tell me why.

I was able to restart via the Apple menu, but now it won't boot again. When I boot in verbose mode it seems to get hung up on the [ PCI configuration begin ]. I attached an image of it here:

DSC_0237.JPG

I've tried booting with both PCIrootUID=1 and PciRoot=1, in safe + verbose mode. What's going on here? I'm thinking maybe it's a corrupt Combo Update download?

By the way - what's the difference between PCIrootUID and PciRoot?

Attachments

• DSC_0237.JPG
    DSC_0237.JPG
    489.7 KB · Views: 212
By the way, the clicking sounds have magically disappeared. They must not be related...?

Look at the 10.6.8 Combo Update thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back