i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Occasionally, my desktop will completely freeze, the only way to remedy the issue is to manually restart. When it freezes, all IO stops working except the monitor. The freezes usually occur at random, but can be prompted by the insertion of a USB device. Has anyone else encountered a similar issue? Is there a workaround?

Build details:
GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
Intel i7
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 970
32 GB G.Skill RAM

Occasionally, my desktop will completely freeze, the only way to remedy the issue is to manually restart. When it freezes, all IO stops working except the monitor. The freezes usually occur at random, but can be prompted by the insertion of a USB device. Has anyone else encountered a similar issue? Is there a workaround?

Build details:
GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
Intel i7
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 970
32 GB G.Skill RAM

Having Same issue here with my system 10.10.4

i had :beachball: every time i double click a folder & extremely long boot time

You may need to check the log message in console, so at least can narrow down to the real problem.
I just solved the random freezing issues because of the following message.

Code:
WindowServer[204]: Surface testing disallowed updates for xxxx sequential attempts...
WindowServer[204]: Surface test allowed updates after xxxx attempts.

** the xxxx is the number which sometime will be hundred-thousands attempts !!

It continue to fill-up the log with spinning cursor that make the desktop slow, unusable and sometime freezes.
I finally found the root of this problem (may be just for my desktop), before this happen, my desktop went to sleep and cannot wake it up by keyboard or mouse or any, so i need to turn off by power button. After turn it on, above problem came. After spent a day, I found the frame rate (fps) and the VGA performance has dropped (LuxMark result about 6-10 from 23xx by normally), it something like the VGA card still in sleep mode!! and the WindowServer trying to test the surface and keep trying because the VGA card still in a dream with deep sleep.

My solution is un-plug (AC power, display DVI, USB power from my ADC30") and leave it for 1 minute, then re-plug to original places, and turn it on again.... and the problem gone! I guess, the sleep did something that trigged the VGA card that make it deep sleep even after power off/on or restart. For now, the temporary solution for me is un-plug, wait, re-plug.

I still finding the way to make sleep/wake work properly for my desktop just like Mavericks.

VGA: Sapphire HD7970 Vapor-X 3GB
M/B: EVGA SR-2
Chimera 4.1.0

hope you find the cause of problem soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back