CPU
i5-7600K
Graphics
GTX 1050
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm wanting to build a newer and better hackintosh but can't really get most of the parts due to financial issues so I want to sell my current build. The problem is that I have no idea how to determine how much it is worth or if it would be better to just sell the parts (try). I googled and found a few things but you guys know more about computers than most so I figured what better place to ask. I'm hoping I can get some input.

mobo: Asus P5E-VM DO Q35 chipset

cpu: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00 GHz

Memory: 3 GB SDRAM PC2-6400

GPU: NVIDIA Geforce 8500 GT

HDD: WD 320 GB Sata 7200 rpm & WD 40 GB Sata 7200 rpm

Optical: 2 TSST dvd burners (exact specs I'm unsure of at the moment)

Case: Raidmax Sagitta

Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse II

Mouse: Logitech VX Revolution

I would highly recommend you DO NOT try and sell on eBay etc, as installing os x on non apple hardware is a breach of the t's and c's. However if your selling to a mate, find the closest thing to an equivalent mac, and go from there.

Generally speaking though a hackintosh is something you build for you.

There's also the format and put windows or Linux option.

Chris

Actually, I was planning on wiping the hdd. I'm selling it without an OS.

In that case see if that hardware is still available and price it out. Failing that take whatever you paid for it and drop the value based on how old it is.. Think of it like selling an old car.

Should be right!

Cw

So lets say you buy a Mac Pro through MAC for $10,000. Then you change the RAM, and upgrade the Video Card, then you change the Hard Drive out to lets say a top of the line SSD PCIE Card. Well you just wasted all kinds of money because now you are no longer a branded MAC user! Think about it.

By MAC's definition, if you buy something from MAC it covers that product only as Branded! This is where PSYSTAR may have needed a better lawyer. If MAC doesn't even make the INTEL Chip that goes into their product then what percent of the product is actually MAC (PowerPC Motorola Licensed 100% INTEL 0% Licensed for Volume Sales)?

Well if you guessed the OSX Software at 99% and the rest is the CASE and MAINBOARD? and Mainly the PowerSupply and Keyboard/Mouse. The rest is OEM for sale by MAC. So if you upgrade your MAC with anything not bought through MAC you are now considered no longer Branded, if you use MAC's terminology towards their own Branding! Think about the hundreds and thousands of computers that have had the simplest RAM upgrade that puts them in violation of MAC user license, if what MAC says you can and can't do with their software vs hardware is correct!

So ultimately if you do plan on selling your system as a Hackintosh, just make sure you send the original disk of OSX and then Lawyer up! lol

immapc said:
So lets say you buy a Mac Pro through MAC for $10,000. Then you change the RAM, and upgrade the Video Card, then you change the Hard Drive out to lets say a top of the line SSD PCIE Card. Well you just wasted all kinds of money because now you are no longer a branded MAC user! Think about it.

By MAC's definition, if you buy something from MAC it covers that product only as Branded! This is where PSYSTAR may have needed a better lawyer. If MAC doesn't even make the INTEL Chip that goes into their product then what percent of the product is actually MAC (PowerPC Motorola Licensed 100% INTEL 0% Licensed for Volume Sales)?

Well if you guessed the OSX Software at 99% and the rest is the CASE and MAINBOARD? and Mainly the PowerSupply and Keyboard/Mouse. The rest is OEM for sale by MAC. So if you upgrade your MAC with anything not bought through MAC you are now considered no longer Branded, if you use MAC's terminology towards their own Branding! Think about the hundreds and thousands of computers that have had the simplest RAM upgrade that puts them in violation of MAC user license, if what MAC says you can and can't do with their software vs hardware is correct!

So ultimately if you do plan on selling your system as a Hackintosh, just make sure you send the original disk of OSX and then Lawyer up! lol
Who is MAC?

Who is MAC? Yeah I meant Apple instead of MAC. But you get the Gist of it right? How does selling OEM hardware constitute a Brand? Apple owns the Keyboard and Mouse and Case design rights but not the CPU/RAM/Videocard rights, only license to sell Intel/Kingston/NVidia, and if someone changes Keyboards and Mouse this was the only thing keeping them Apple branded. lol If reselling Intel/Kingston/NVidia does truly constitute a Branding then any upgrade now puts your Apple Brand MAC in violation of their Branded Useage Contract for their OSX.

Charge more for their OS and sell it seperately is the best answer to the dillemma. Lets say Apple sells their Branded computers with the OSX thrown in for Free or minimal cost. Then they have a Retail Version that could even have Serialization, and charge $299 for it. They now would have a viable product as Software that has specific rights to it even if it is a license like Microsoft grants.

Seems like a real easy way to expand the Apple OSX and at that point people like Tony and MacMan could get paid for their expertise without any hassle of breaking a currently deceptive branding contract created by Apple.

immapc, you don't really know what you're talking about. Apple doesn't care if you upgrade the hardware components (HDD, RAM, sometimes GPU and in rare cases the CPU) – they just won't support it if you take it to one of their stores for service.

So if you buy a MacBook Pro and upgrade the RAM Apple/Mac won't deal with you anymore? Then that is my point you are no longer Branded even though you paid their initial money to buy the system. I know what I am talking about I think you don't fully comprehend what I stated and what it means legally if what Apple says is true about their branding of OEM products to make their product.

Lets say Apple OEM's the same RAM you buy from KINGSTON same spec same part number. But you buy it through NewEgg.com. You are now out of Branding and therefore can not legally use OSX. That is what they are saying about people who build hackintoshes. How is that legally enforced one way but not the other? If you want a better video card and better keyboard and mouse then you are now no longer legit. I am all for Apple making money and their service is impeccable but give some slack to the hacks that want to do what they will for lack of money or just for fun!

Live it Vivid...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back