Contribute
Register

Seemingly random freezes during Yosemite setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the panic is happening after the fresh installation or after working some days.?

With a fresh installation it froze a few times but not every time. I presume though that that's because I was booting back and forth a lot working on getting a successful dual-boot with Windows 8.1, and if I had left it on longer than the couple minutes I did it would have. Yesterday I tried setting RAM performance to "enhanced stability" in the BIOS following advice I found in another thread, and it ran for a good few hours before I shut it down for the night. Today it started freezing after running for only a few minutes again though, and I haven't changed any BIOS settings since last night.

With a fresh installation it froze a few times but not every time. I presume though that that's because I was booting back and forth a lot working on getting a successful dual-boot with Windows 8.1, and if I had left it on longer than the couple minutes I did it would have. Yesterday I tried setting RAM performance to "enhanced stability" in the BIOS following advice I found in another thread, and it ran for a good few hours before I shut it down for the night. Today it started freezing after running for only a few minutes again though, and I haven't changed any BIOS settings since last night.

If the freeze happening with a fresh install of OS X (Even before installing boot loader/any drivers) it could be the issue related with RAM (I suspect)/RAM related settings on BIOS.

Anyhow just repair the disk permissions and then rebuild the cache using utilities like DPCIManager. Then reboot and monitor the OS X for some time.

If the freeze happening with a fresh install of OS X (Even before installing boot loader/any drivers) it could be the issue related with RAM (I suspect)/RAM related settings on BIOS.

Anyhow just repair the disk permissions and then rebuild the cache using utilities like DPCIManager. Then reboot and monitor the OS X for some time.

Done. I have to go to work now, but I will leave the computer on and see if it's frozen when I get back. I'll report back here with my results.

[SOLVED] Seemingly random freezes during Yosemite setup

As far as memory goes, I tried changing XMP to "None," but then OS X didn't even boot at all, so I went back to Profile1.

After repairing disk permissions and rebuilding cache, it ran for several more hours before I shut it down, but it froze again the next time I booted. So I don't think that actually fixed the problem.

I seem to have fixed it though: Since I set Intel graphics to "disabled," I have had no freezes after several days of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back