NV GeForce 9500GT
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Ok....I am having some big problems...

Got my system up and running with 10.6.5 combo update and it was working solidly. ( Only had to resolve Sleep problem). Day before yesterday, Upon starting up I suddenly had no audio.

I tried to work with multibeast(2.5.1) to reinstall some audio drivers (voodoo (x.62 seemed to work well enough originally so I reinstalled as I had before. This is where the problems started...

I am assuming that I didnt execute multibeast right during this step or something else went horribly wrong.
When I rebooted all I got was the white apple logo screen and constant spinning time wheel icon eventually leading to a small prohibited circle with a line through it icon on top of the apple icon (grey in color--sorry do not know the official name)--seems to be hanging/freezing?...Anyway figured no big deal just use iboot and get back in...did not work(same white screen ...then to safemode...did not work (gave me some unknown error)...
OK guessed I had to reinstall OSX...well that did not work either...same white screen when I click on SL install disk... (By the way, I am using an OFFICIAL APPLE SL Disk...in fact I have two of them).

What am I missing? Starting to think this could be hardware problem...my boot drive is brand new OCZ SSD agility 2 ...
What a heartbreaker...went from "king of the OSX world" to rock bottom in the flick of a switch... As the saying goes you are only as good as your last OSX install...

Please help...If any more info is needed, I will be standingby to answer any questions

As always thanks for any and all help

Re: Seemingly Big Trouble

HackyMac said:
Ok....I am having some big problems...

Got my system up and running with 10.6.5 combo update and it was working solidly. ( Only had to resolve Sleep problem). Day before yesterday, Upon starting up I suddenly had no audio.

I tried to work with multibeast(2.5.1) to reinstall some audio drivers (voodoo (x.62 seemed to work well enough originally so I reinstalled as I had before. This is where the problems started...

I am assuming that I didnt execute multibeast right during this step or something else went horribly wrong.
When I rebooted all I got was the white apple logo screen and constant spinning time wheel icon eventually leading to a small prohibited circle with a line through it icon on top of the apple icon (grey in color--sorry do not know the official name)--seems to be hanging/freezing?...Anyway figured no big deal just use iboot and get back in...did not work(same white screen ...then to safemode...did not work (gave me some unknown error)...
OK guessed I had to reinstall OSX...well that did not work either...same white screen when I click on SL install disk... (By the way, I am using an OFFICIAL APPLE SL Disk...in fact I have two of them).

What am I missing? Starting to think this could be hardware problem...my boot drive is brand new OCZ SSD agility 2 ...
What a heartbreaker...went from "king of the OSX world" to rock bottom in the flick of a switch... As the saying goes you are only as good as your last OSX install...

Please help...If any more info is needed, I will be standingby to answer any questions

As always thanks for any and all help
Did you remember to run system utilities to repair permissions and rebuild caches before rebooting after installing kext files? RP&RC should become a habit when adding/deleting/moving system files in OS X.

I know I was always careful to do that on prior uses of multibeast but at this point I am believing anything is possible as an explanation...

Any suggestions on resolving this issue?

As implied above, a new install would be fine since it is a new system. However, even that is presenting a problem for me.

Thanks

HM

HackyMac said:
I know I was always careful to do that on prior uses of multibeast but at this point I am believing anything is possible as an explanation...

Any suggestions on resolving this issue?

As implied above, a new install would be fine since it is a new system. However, even that is presenting a problem for me.

Thanks

HM
If you can get to the desktop at all, look in E/E and in S/L/E both and drag every voodoo file you can find to the trashcan and then secure empty the trash. I have lost count of the times I have skipped that last important step and run into problems. You wouldn't think that a file could infuence anything once it had been deleted, but residuals can cause you problems. Then look for any HDA enabler file and get rid of them the same way.
Once you've cleaned out everything, RP&RC and reboot.
Now you can start to repair the problems.

FYI I can not get to desktop...computer hangs up on gray screen...other ideas?

Re: Seemingly Big Trouble (New Info)

Well when I run either my installation of SL on my hard drive or the official SL retail DVD through iboot using verbose ...I get the following error or hangup...

NV enabler: probe fails
Realtek RTL81xxx.kext: NIC Identified as RTL8168D/8111D (mcfg=18)

How can I resolve this issue?
Can I individually go in and remove a kext (i guess RTL81xxx.kext) without being able to get to desktop or terminal? Any instructions?

Thanks for the help.

HM

Well went back to the basics and dove into the BIOS settings and found that all my Original settings concerning the configure SATA to AHCI, Onboard Devices Configuration etc. had reverted back to default...DOH...not sure how or why...rebooted and all is as I left it...I'll leave it at that and move on...great to be back. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back