Contribute
Register

Secondary 1Gig Network Card / Link Aggregation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Hero X
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Saphire Radeon RX580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Looks like the macOS supports link aggregation (LAG). I wanted to install a secondary NIC in my Coffee Lake Hackintosh and increase the throughput to a small NAS device. I see several discussions about PCI NIC's but none of them are very recent. Anybody got a suggestion for a 1Gb PCI network card that will work on High Sierra without a lot of hassle?

Link aggregation can benefit you if you have multiple clients accessing files on the NAS at the same time. In this case you typically set it up between the NAS and a strategically chosen switch.

From your description it sounds like may be connecting the NAS directly to your computer. If that's the case, and there are no other clients involved, you will most likely lower your practical bandwidth instead of increasing it; since your single client would be unable to use more than 1 Gbit/s and link aggregation itself adds some overhead.

Link aggregation can benefit you if you have multiple clients accessing files on the NAS at the same time. In this case you typically set it up between the NAS and a strategically chosen switch.

From your description it sounds like may be connecting the NAS directly to your computer. If that's the case, and there are no other clients involved, you will most likely lower your practical bandwidth instead of increasing it; since your single client would be unable to use more than 1 Gbit/s and link aggregation itself adds some overhead.

Interesting....so in your opinion, I would be better off having a NAS that supports a 10GB connection and putting a 10GB NIC in my mac? Rather than doing multiple 1GB connections with LAG?

My ultimate goal is to speed up Time Machine backups.......the NAS is sitting right next to my Mac and yes, I was going to do a direct connection to it.

Thanks!

There's an ongoing thread in in the forum that might be helpful, it contains compatible NICs and people's experiences with them.

So yes, a 10gbE card should work and should give you a higher transfer rate; assuming your NAS has support for it and the the drives involved (on your computer and in the NAS) can read/write fast enough. I haven't tried it myself though, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back