GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2048 MB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I recently purchased a USB 3.0 Seagate 500 gb portable Slim drive for Mac thinking it would be a sweet replacement for my failing USB 2.0 portable drive. I set the device up on my MacBook Pro and thought nothing of it a few weeks ago. However, when I connect the device to my Hackintosh it's as if an off switch was plugged in. The system freezes and does nothing. I rebooted and received a kernel panic crash upon starting with the device plugged in.

I reformatted the drive on the MacBook Pro, zeros, Mac Journaling and tried again with nothing on the drive. Same crash and burn scenario. I am aware that Seagate sells a Mac and PC version but I thought that was for pre-formatted drive reasons not some hidden hardware thing.

I would love to hear thoughts on possible solutions as I'm more of a network guy and less hardware. Thanks for the help.

I'm sporting:
  • 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3
  • 2 gig G-Force GTX 660 TI video card,
  • Intel Core 3.4 ghz i5-3570K
  • processor (not over clocking) and a
  • GA-Z77X-UP5-TH motherboard.

I'm suffering with a similar problem.

Seagate 1TB Slim Drive--orig PC format, now Mac.

It works fine on an old G4 Mini, but freezes my GA-Z77X-UD5H / i5 3570K running 10.8.4.

Updated USB 3.0 universal drivers.

Maybe a BIOS setting I'm missing?

TIM

I think USB drivers are still flaky on Hackintosh.

I'm on an older, less well supported system (these days!), and I have some USB 3 flakiness as well. USB 2 runs at full speed. And USB 3 is reported, and runs at full speed for ~ 400-600mb of transfer, before it seems to crash/step down to USB speeds (or worse) for the rest of large transfers. That's testing with various file sizes between 400mb and 20GB.

I even tried installing the latest universal USB kext (1.2.7) and modifying the Apple exclusion kext to allow the new USB kext. That actually made the problem worse-- the USB 3 ports ended up running at USB 1 speeds!

Really could have used full USB 3 speeds recently backing up a 1.24 TB Aperture library. Took all day and part of the night at USB 2 speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back