Contribute
Register

Seagate 4TB PCB & firmware bios IC swap: disk not readable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks,

This is my first time to post here as I got an issue with my Seagate Desktop Backup Plus 4TB 3.5" HDD after accidentally inserting my external monitor power plug. These are the sequence of events:

1. Removed the HDD from the enclosure to backup using another working enclosure.
2. There was a burnt smell after switching it on, prompting me to unplug immediately
3. After viewing the DIY video by Donor Drives LLC about PCB replacement, which is pretty similar to my case, I went ahead to purchase a PCB from amazon.
4. When the PCB arrived, and before transferring the ROM chip, i noticed that the difference:
ORIGINAL (revision number): 1F2168-568, CC54, 3164 "J"
NEW (revision number): 1F2168-568, CC54, 3164 "F"
5. Sent a message to the seller to clarify and got this:
The sticker number does not affect the compatibility of the PCB. As long as your revision number that is etched into the PCB matches, then it is a compatible donor. The original ROM chip will need to be transferred to the replacement PCB.
6. I proceeded with the ROM chip transfer thru the help of a local electronics shop who has solder tools.
7. Finally swapped the PCB and plugged the HDD to a newly purchased enclosure
8. After plugging to my mac OSX 10.9.5, it prompted this message: "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer."
9. I failed to see the device in the Finder but after checking the Disk Utility, the HDD is visible, showing "4 TB ATA ST4000DM000-1F21 Media". The Repair Disk buttons are also disabled in my attempt to do further checks.
10. Tried to reach the seller again about my latest findings and was only told that the HDD could be experiencing "additional failure" without further specifics.

I'm quite desperate at this point, trying to resolve this on my own. I immensely appreciate all the help. Thanks very much.

Sam

Here's to resolve my own case.

Somehow after checking other forums, I managed to spot an answer from someone who advised that by far, the most frequent failure (eliminating inadequate USB power issues) is failure of the adapter card in the enclosure.

Although I have already committed a mistake buying another new 3rd party enclosure, thinking that any typical HDD should work in it, I tried following the suggestion by reusing the hard drive's own original enclosure with its own power supply and it worked!

I had the same scare moment and was about to test the original enclosure when I saw your confirmation on this. Transferring files right now so I can reformat my 3TB HDD. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back