Contribute
Register

scrub to hackintosh (M.2 detection and patching kext?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to follow this guide to making my xps 13 9350 a hackintosh, and I got the setup to boot, but it doesnt detect my m.2 sdd storage space (I've also tried to strink my windows drive so that there is about 200gb of unallocated space for the mac), it's only detecting the usb with have the installer. I tried to look this up but they keep saying stuff about patching kext and enter something in the terminal during setup but doesnt fully explain to do it for someone with little to no experience like me. Can someone help me out? I also tried to contact the OP of the post but no reply. Please help me, but guide me through the way since I have never successful done a hackintosh

I have the similar laptop:
XPS 13 9350
i7-6560U @2.2GHz
16GB ram
Skylake graphic (bios 1037) aka Intel Iris 540
audio: RealTek ALC3246
512GB PM951 NVMe SAMSUNG M.2 SSD

EDIT: GOT IT TO DETECT! I use the clover posted by TheAlpha on page ~10 of the link,

Last edited:
I'm trying to follow this guide to making my xps 13 9350 a hackintosh, and I got the setup to boot, but it doesnt detect my m.2 sdd storage space (I've also tried to strink my windows drive so that there is about 200gb of unallocated space for the mac), it's only detecting the usb with have the installer. I tried to look this up but they keep saying stuff about patching kext and enter something in the terminal during setup but doesnt fully explain to do it for someone with little to no experience like me. Can someone help me out? I also tried to contact the OP of the post but no reply. Please help me, but guide me through the way since I have never successful done a hackintosh

I have the similar laptop:
XPS 13 9350
i7-6560U @2.2GHz
16GB ram
Skylake graphic (bios 1037) aka Intel Iris 540
audio: RealTek ALC3246
512GB PM951 NVMe SAMSUNG M.2 SSD

See here: https://github.com/RehabMan/patch-nvme

You're going to want to run the script and then place the patched kext in your /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other (or whatever folder you used for kexts), which means you need access to another OSX environment...

These steps are from the GitHub repo but I'm going to attempt to simplify it:

1. Download the repo - click "Clone or download" on the top right, and click "Download as ZIP". Extract the folder.
2. Move the folder to your Downloads folder.
3. Open terminal and run the following commands:

Code:
cd ~/Downloads/patch-nvme-master
./patch_nvme.sh 10_12_0

4. On running the second command, a "HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_0.kext" should appear in your downloads folder.
5. Place that kext in your /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other (or whatever folder you used for kexts) on your USB installer.

6. Rerun the setup, and it should be recognized now!

I'm not speaking from experience, but rather from the guide...

Let us know what happens!

-Duncan

See here: https://github.com/RehabMan/patch-nvme

You're going to want to run the script and then place the patched kext in your /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other (or whatever folder you used for kexts), which means you need access to another OSX environment...

These steps are from the GitHub repo but I'm going to attempt to simplify it:

1. Download the repo - click "Clone or download" on the top right, and click "Download as ZIP". Extract the folder.
2. Move the folder to your Downloads folder.
3. Open terminal and run the following commands:

Code:
cd ~/Downloads/patch-nvme-master
./patch_nvme.sh 10_12_0

4. On running the second command, a "HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_0.kext" should appear in your downloads folder.
5. Place that kext in your /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other (or whatever folder you used for kexts) on your USB installer.

6. Rerun the setup, and it should be recognized now!

I'm not speaking from experience, but rather from the guide...

Let us know what happens!

-Duncan
when I ran the second command, I'm getting
Code:
ks-Mac:patch-nvme-master k$ ./patch_nvme.sh 10_12_0

Creating patched HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_0.kext

cp: /System/Library/Extensions/IONVMeFamily.kext: No such file or directory

mv: rename HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_0.kext/Contents/MacOS/IONVMeFamily to HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_0.kext/Contents/MacOS/HackrNVMeFamily: No such file or directory

md5: HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_0.kext/Contents/MacOS/HackrNVMeFamily: No such file or directory

WARNING: Vanilla MD5 () does not match expected MD5 (68e7cad234ccf6b76cee6f7ba667c173)

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

Print: Entry, ":CFBundleGetInfoString", Does Not Exist

Parse Error: Unclosed Quotes

Value Required for Set Command

Print: Entry, ":CFBundleVersion", Does Not Exist

Print: Entry, ":CFBundleShortVersionString", Does Not Exist

File Doesn't Exist, Will Create: HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_0.kext/Contents/Info.plist

File Doesn't Exist, Will Create: HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_0.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Set: Entry, ":IOKitPersonalities:GenericNVMeSSD:IOProbeScore", Does Not Exist

Set: Entry, ":CFBundleIdentifier", Does Not Exist

Set: Entry, ":CFBundleName", Does Not Exist

Set: Entry, ":CFBundleExecutable", Does Not Exist

Set: Entry, ":IOKitPersonalities:GenericNVMeSSD:CFBundleIdentifier", Does Not Exist

Set: Entry, ":IOKitPersonalities:GenericNVMeSSD:IOClass", Does Not Exist

Set: Entry, ":IOKitPersonalities:GenericNVMeSSD:IOPCIClassMatch", Does Not Exist

md5: HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_0.kext/Contents/MacOS/HackrNVMeFamily: No such file or directory

WARNING: Patched MD5 () does not match expected MD5 (827266cb03218ec46566f69c56eb3548)
also I'm using a Yosemite 10.10 VM machine to do this

when I ran the second command, I'm getting
Code:
ks-Mac:patch-nvme-master k$ ./patch_nvme.sh 10_12_0

cp: /System/Library/Extensions/IONVMeFamily.kext: No such file or directory

mv: rename HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_0.kext/Contents/MacOS/IONVMeFamily to HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_0.kext/Contents/MacOS/HackrNVMeFamily: No such file or directory

WARNING: Vanilla MD5 () does not match expected MD5 (68e7cad234ccf6b76cee6f7ba667c173)

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

File cannot be found

Print: Entry, ":CFBundleGetInfoString", Does Not Exist

Print: Entry, ":CFBundleVersion", Does Not Exist

Print: Entry, ":CFBundleShortVersionString", Does Not Exist

Set: Entry, ":IOKitPersonalities:GenericNVMeSSD:IOProbeScore", Does Not Exist

Set: Entry, ":CFBundleIdentifier", Does Not Exist

Set: Entry, ":CFBundleName", Does Not Exist

Set: Entry, ":CFBundleExecutable", Does Not Exist

Set: Entry, ":IOKitPersonalities:GenericNVMeSSD:CFBundleIdentifier", Does Not Exist

Set: Entry, ":IOKitPersonalities:GenericNVMeSSD:IOClass", Does Not Exist

Set: Entry, ":IOKitPersonalities:GenericNVMeSSD:IOPCIClassMatch", Does Not Exist

WARNING: Patched MD5 () does not match expected MD5 (827266cb03218ec46566f69c56eb3548)
also I'm using a Yosemite 10.10 VM machine to do this

I'm not sure if Yosemite had NVME support yet...
See if the kext exists (navigate to the directory it's saying where the file doesn't exist)...
It might be because you're using a VM, but I'm not too sure...

I would also try to see if you could load your VM with El Capitan or Sierra.

-Duncan

I'm not sure if Yosemite had NVME support yet...
See if the kext exists (navigate to the directory it's saying where the file doesn't exist)...
It might be because you're using a VM, but I'm not too sure...

I would also try to see if you could load your VM with El Capitan or Sierra.

-Duncan
I'm not sure where the HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_0.kext/Contents is located since it didnt create the kext, but I went into the /System/Library/Extensions and IONVMeFamily wasnt there, so imma try to update my vmware to sierra to see if it fix

I'm not sure where the HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_0.kext/Contents is located since it didnt create the kext, but I went into the /System/Library/Extensions and IONVMeFamily wasnt there, so imma try to update my vmware to sierra to see if it fix

Do that and report back with running those commands again, and see if it works this time...

-Duncan

Ok I ran the command and and got
Code:

WARNING: Vanilla MD5 (78d587a16e5736b563a175fbf8707372) does not match expected MD5 (68e7cad234ccf6b76cee6f7ba667c173)

WARNING: Patched MD5 (e128672f60242bace112bedc078f611d) does not match expected MD5 (827266cb03218ec46566f69c56eb3548)
and the kext was made in the same folder instead of download folder (hope that isn't a problem)
but for some reason my EFI drive/folder that was on my desktop keep disappearing every time I reconnect the usb, so I re-clover it to get it to appear (is there a way to get it to reappear without running the clover again?)
then drag the new kext to me 'other' folder (I only got SLE and other) but now when I run the setup, it stop at the beginning and I get the "system up time in nanosecond" line... I don't know why it's not running the setup now...

Ok well I ****ed up, I thought after updating I would still have the installer, so I erased the usb and tried to reinstall the installer back on, but now Idk how to re download sierra install on sierra....

edit: Got the install back and now I just have the problem ontop of this post

Last edited:
Ok well I ****** up, I thought after updating I would still have the installer, so I erased the usb and tried to reinstall the installer back on, but now Idk how to re download sierra install on sierra....

edit: Got the install back and now I just have the problem ontop of this post

Did you try to use SATA-100-series-unsupported.kext in your clover USB install?

According to Rehabman, ..."some Skylake SATA controller device-ids are not in the AppleAHCIPort.kext Info.plist (yet). If you have an unsupported SATA controller (8086:a103, 8086:9d03), use SATA-100-series-unsupported.kext."

You can find it in this thread:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Did you try to use SATA-100-series-unsupported.kext in your clover USB install?

According to Rehabman, ..."some Skylake SATA controller device-ids are not in the AppleAHCIPort.kext Info.plist (yet). If you have an unsupported SATA controller (8086:a103, 8086:9d03), use SATA-100-series-unsupported.kext."

You can find it in this thread:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/
yes, but do you know how to make it so that my clover's EFI folder shows up again after I connect my USB in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back