Contribute
Register

Screen Freezing; GTX 1070 / Nvidia Web Drivers / Clover / Multi Monitor Multi Res

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z87X-UD3H
CPU
i5-4670K
Graphics
Asus GTX 1070 8GB
So I'll start with a quick run down. Back when the pascal drivers first launched I was having freezing issues. I was able to resolve the freezing issue by installing the NvidiaGraphicsFixup and Lilu. Since then, one of the OSX updates has brought back the freezing issue.

As it stands, the build is stable as can be using a single monitor. It's like there is no problem at all. If I plug in a second monitor and boot the system, both monitors work but it will randomly lock up (one is HDMI 1080p 60hz, the other DP 1440p 165hz).

Things that will almost guarantee a lockup are trying to click menus/apps too quick during boot and changing resolutions. If I change resolutions with only one monitor connected it works as it should. If I change both monitors to the same resolution it will work as normal, although I get terrible screen tear unless I match or double the frequency of my 1440p to the 1080p monitor.

Another odd quirk (although not a big deal) is that my 1440p monitor does not list all the available resolutions, ie: 1080p is missing which would make this whole situation a little less of a problem).

So, any ideas? I know this was an issue when Pascal first launched in OSX but it seems to have crept back again for me and I can't seem to find anyone having and resolving the issue anymore.

Specs:
i5 4670k GA-Z87X-UD3H
Asus GTX 1070 Twin
Random 1080p 60hz HDMI Monitor
Dell S2417DG 1440p 165hz unlocked DP Monitor
Latest Clover

I've tried removing the Lilu/NvidiaGraphicsFixup kexts and while it DOES make the system stable for changing resolutions and whatnot, it brings back the original issue they fixed which was the system would randomly lockup (could be 1 minute, 10 minutes, or an hour). With the kexts it will lockup much quicker everytime (within a minute or two).

Config.plist attached with some SN's removed.

Attachments

• config.plist.txt
    5.2 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

Attachments

• config.plist
    6 KB · Views: 223
Try this edited version :

Same problem. Still getting freezes. First boot it locked up after login, second boot it locked up shortly after while watching a video and moving a window around really fast, third boot I'm about 5mins in and no lockup.

Same problem. Still getting freezes. First boot it locked up after login, second boot it locked up shortly after while watching a video and moving a window around really fast, third boot I'm about 5mins in and no lockup.
My guess is that it is something other than your config.plist that is causing it then.
(or that you are not booting from the config.plist that you think you are).

My guess is that it is something other than your config.plist that is causing it then.
(or that you are not booting from the config.plist that you think you are).

It's an EFI boot and naturally there is only one config.plist to be loaded. On boot it is verbose now which would tell me it's using the new config as my old one did not have the verbose flag.

UPDATE: Felt it's worth mentioning, this third boot is the longest I've been able to run OSX for on this thing in ages so it seems to have helped despite the initial 2 lockups. Nevermind, went to change refresh rate and it locked up again.

Still looking for ideas.

Last edited:
Are both running at 60hz? As you mentioned one of them is 165hz. This difference in Hz could be the culprit

Are both running at 60hz? As you mentioned one of them is 165hz. This difference in Hz could be the culprit

Generally yes both are the same but it doesn't make a difference. The only thing the frequency change affects is screen tearing (if they are both 60 no tears, 1 60 and 1 120 no tears, 1 60 and 1 anything else and it tears).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back