i7-8700k
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello All,

Apologies in advance if this has been addressed and I've missed it, but I'm sort of at a loss. My computer was working fine for months and months, then out of nowhere, the screen started intermittently flickering, then sometimes going to black without me being able to wake it. I haven't changed anything, updated the OS, etc., so I'm not sure what could be causing this.

Anyone have this issue or any idea how to tackle it?

Thank you in advance!

Mac OS 10.15.7
3.7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 8700k
Corsair Vengeance 64 GB 2133 MHz DDR4 RAM
Native graphics card (UHD 630)
ASUS Prime Z370-A Motherboard

Two wrinkles: I updated my Lilu, WhateverGreen, and AppleALC to see if that would fix it. It didn't. I then tried plugging in by HDMI instead of DisplayPort, and even though I never switched the input (it's still listed as using DisplayPort), it doesn't seem to be flickering anymore... On top of that, now, since updating, my sound output settings have changed and I don't have the ability to play through my speakers anymore, which is concerning to say the least.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hello, all. This problem is still here in a big way and seriously messing with productivity. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it does it. Again, I haven't changed anything, so I don't know why it would be doing it out of nowhere. Any help is seriously appreciated!!

Hello, all. This problem is still here in a big way and seriously messing with productivity. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it does it. Again, I haven't changed anything, so I don't know why it would be doing it out of nowhere. Any help is seriously appreciated!!
Is it possible that your monitor or the cable that connects to your monitor is having problems?

Perhaps you should try to replace the monitor cable to see if the problem goes away?

Is it possible that your monitor or the cable that connects to your monitor is having problems?

Perhaps you should try to replace the monitor cable to see if the problem goes away?
I did try that. I just tried a new solution that I THINK may solve the problem. It's been working so far, and if this is correct, I'm going to feel awfully dumb. I had both a display port and HDMI cable plugged into the monitor. I removed one. Let's see what happens. Thank you for the suggestion!

I did try that. I just tried a new solution that I THINK may solve the problem. It's been working so far, and if this is correct, I'm going to feel awfully dumb. I had both a display port and HDMI cable plugged into the monitor. I removed one. Let's see what happens. Thank you for the suggestion!
You connected two cables from your motherboard to your monitor, one DisplayPort and one HDMI?

That certainly should not be necessary if you are just using one monitor.

You connected two cables from your motherboard to your monitor, one DisplayPort and one HDMI?

That certainly should not be necessary if you are just using one monitor.
I must have done that by mistake when I moved.

In any case, I removed one of the cables and the problem is still there :/. Really not sure what to do.

I must have done that by mistake when I moved.

In any case, I removed one of the cables and the problem is still there :/. Really not sure what to do.
Could happen. I had intermittent flickering problems on my second display beginning in October. I suspect a slowly dying/failing backlight in my case. Knock on wood, it looks ok for now but some day, it’ll probably die completely.

How old is your monitor? Mine (two Acer’s) are 10 years old.

Your only option would be to try/borrow a monitor and see if it still happens to eliminate other possible options (bad cable, failing GPU, etc…).

My monitor is less than a year old, so that should definitely not be the issue. I don't have access to another one :/. I feel like it's gotta be something with my EFI, I just don't know what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back