Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
I7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi, the background color of the screen is reset every time I reboot. It doesn't matter if I have customized it in system preferences. Sorry if the question is ambiguous, but I don't know exactly how to ask. Is it something related to the EFI? Any clue to start investigating will be welcome.

The macOS Desktop background changing will not be EFI related. The OC or Clover EFI will deal with and control boot options/settings, not macOS settings such as the desktop background.

If you use System Preferences > Desktop & ScreenSaver pane to set the desktop background you need to make sure you have not inadvertently ticked the change picture option, located at the bottom of the Desktop pane. As this would automatically change the background after a set period of time, or upon a reboot of the system.

Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 19.56.26.png System Preferences > Desktop Pane

The Change picture options are highlighted at the bottom of the pane in red rectangle

If that is not causing the changes you may need to use the ClearNvram or ResetNvramEntry.efi option from your boot loaders boot screen.

In Clover this is executed by pressing the F11 key while the system shows the Clover boot screen and then manually rebooting the system, so all the existing/old NVRAM entries are removed.

In OpenCore this is executed by pressing the spacebar while the system shows the boot screen, and then selecting ResetNvramEntry.efi from the Drivers/Tools that are unhidden. Using ResetNvramEntry.efi will automatically reboot the system.

Using ClearNvram.efi will not automatically reboot the system. If you use ClearNvram.efi Tool you need to use the ResetSystem.efi tool so the old Nvram entries are removed before you boot into macOS.

Thank you for your help! I'm in Ventura/OpenCore. The automatic rotation is deactivated (see below "colores" word):

Captura de pantalla 2023-05-26 a las 21.16.34.png

Also, the tools shown at reboot pressing the spacebar are:

Openshell.efi
memcheck
shutdown
CFGLock
Reset NVRAM

I selected Reset NVRAM (several times, every time machine reboots) with no effect. So, I have no ResetNvramEntry.efi, no ResetSystem.efi and no ClearNvram.efi.

The entries available when you press the spacebar on the OC boot screen all depends on which Drivers and Tools are included in your /EFI/OC/Drivers and /EFI/OC/Tools sub-folders, along with the corresponding config.plist entries. Below is a screenshot showing the contents of the /EFI/OC/Drivers sub-folder from OC 0.9.2 Release. ResetNvramEntry.efi is highlighted.

Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 23.16.17.png /EFI/OC/Drivers folder OC 0.9.2

It is simple to add and remove Drivers and Tools from the OC sub-folders. The important part is they have to be from the same Release of OpenCore as the other drivers, tools, BOOTx64.efi and OpenCore.efi. Below is a screenshot showing the contents of the /EFI/OC/Tools folder, with ClearNvram.efi highlighted, again from OC Release 0.9.2.

Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 23.20.31.png /EFI/OC/Tools folder fromOC 0.9.2

As an example I have posted below a screenshot showing the contents of the Drivers and Tools folders from my Coffee Lake Hack, OC Release 0.9.1.

Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 23.22.27.png

You should be using something similar to those entries shown above in your Coffee Lake OC setup.

Thank you for de detailed explanation. This is strange, the tools still not shown when the spacebar is pressed (only the list I mentioned in previous post).

I'm in OpenCore 0.9.2: REL-092-2023-04-23

Of the tools and drivers you mentioned, (ResetNvramEntry.efi, ClearNvram.efi and ResetSystem.efi) only ClearNvram.efi was missing. I have included ClearNvram.efi from an original copy of OC 0.9.2 and the tools still do not appear when I press spacebar.

I have made sure that all the files come from OC 0.9.2.

Captura de pantalla 2023-05-27 a las 9.30.39.png
Captura de pantalla 2023-05-27 a las 9.30.49.png

I don't know if this information will be relevant, but after installing macOS Ventura I migrated from BigSur with the migration wizard. The desktop background that has remained persistent is the one I had in BigSur on screen 1. On screen 2 the default background of macOS Ventura has remained persistent.

Last edited:
You need to select the screen 1 icon before you change the desktop image. If screen 2 icon is selected when you select a different image it will only change screen 2. The two desktop images are independent of each other. Changing one won’t change both desktop images.

You need to ensure that any drivers or tools added to your OC setup are also added to the config.plist, otherwise they won’t be active.

Su
You need to ensure that any drivers or tools added to your OC setup are also added to the config.plist, otherwise they won’t be active

I spent some time making tests. First, I add ClearNvram to config.plist:
Captura de pantalla 2023-05-27 a las 16.58.47.png

When I open config.plist with opencore configurator I get this warning. Could be a related issue?

Captura de pantalla 2023-05-27 a las 18.49.39.png

Then I Clear NVRAM several times. One time it worked, but the next times it didn't. I mean, I was able to change the background color once, subsequent times not.

Also, I've noticed that ResetNvramEntry.efi is in the drivers section, not in tools. It is right? There is no ResetNvramEntry option when I press spacebar at boot.

Captura de pantalla 2023-05-27 a las 19.39.31.png

Also, after adding tools to config.plist, I get this warning in the boot screen:

"ocs: no scheme for initialmode at 7 index, context <output> |"

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Post a copy of your EFI folder, remember to delete/redact your serial number form the config.plist before you post a copy here.

I will have a look at what you are using and see if any edits are required.

Thank you so much! Here is the EFI before my last changes because my changes broken output sound. There is no ClearNvram tool in this EFI config.plist.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Back