3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073DPBJ7Q/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

4k 60 Hz HDMI 2.0 on Mohave

Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 5.27.22 PM.png

FWIW I bought that Sceptre the last time it was mentioned here. After it arrived, I spent an hour trying to calibrate it with no luck. I gave up on it and sent it back. Coming from the not-4K 27” Apple LED monitor, the Sceptre is a significant step down in both color accuracy and overall image quality. You’d have to be upgrading from a cheap TN panel from many years ago to be impressed by this Sceptre. Maybe it’s acceptable for gaming, but for photo/video work where color accuracy is paramount, forget it. High quality 4K below $200 is just not here yet. I’m not sure it’s here for $400 yet. This plus a Hackintosh is not getting you the iMac Pro experience on the cheap unless all you do on an iMac Pro is GTA.

Last edited:
The display is sharp, bright, and the colors really pop. Plus I have all that room on the display for Windows, etc., not everybody here is professional video/photo. I don't so those high price monitors can't be justified for what I do. And yes, games look great in 4K! :thumbup: I just really like that I get 60Hz 4K without jumping through hoops, just plug it in!

Yes, I’m getting that most people here are more interested in gaming than color-accurate screens for photo/video work. But then why choose an IPS screen, which will always be worse for gaming than a good TN screen that trades off color accuracy and viewing angle for refresh speed? The whole point of IPS is color accuracy at the expense of things that matter most to gamers.

If you think the Sceptre “pops” and you don’t need it to be color accurate, great, enjoy. But for the same or even less money you could have a 4K TN panel better suited to your needs. That’s just as plug and play as the Sceptre, which frankly looks hideous OOTB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back