CPU
i7 2600K
Graphics
HD 6870
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My OCZ Vertex 3 SSD is only getting 140MB/s Write and 330MB/s Read. I have a GA-Z68-UD3H-B3 Motherboard and it is plugged into the SATA III controllers. I recently heard about a separate SATA III controller card to enable full performance of SSDs.

I bought this card...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005B0A6ZS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=tonymacx86com-20

I installed it into an open PCIe 3.0 slot and currently have my SSD plugged into it. I ran a speed test using BM Disk Speed and I still get close to the exact same results. 140MB/s Write and 330MB/s Read. I have installed the 3rd party SATA controller from Multibeast as well.

My SSD should be getting around 500 for both Read and Write. What do I need to do to send my SSD speeds through the roof?

Thank you for any and all help.

You and me both...

Same board, same drive, same speeds. 140-150 write 300-350 read when attached to gSATA ports (grey).
140-150 write and 450-500 read when attached to SATA3 ports (tan)

No one seems to know the answer as to why... I feel like it is just some silt setting in the BIOS that I'm missing.

Here's the answer...

This post by thelostswede on 7/12/12 answers it for me, although not what I want to hear:

There has been quite an outcry by some users here with regards to the performance of their SSDs in OS X, as they're not getting the performance they're expecting. Well, there are many reasons for this, but I'll try to cover some of the main issues that most people seem to experience. Please note that this isn't a complete guide and we're not offering any specific buying advice here, see it instead as guidance and spend some time doing your own research before taking the jump and buying your first SSD.

SandForce based SSD such as OCZ's Vertex 3, Corsair's GT, Sandisk's Extreme, use compression, this means that if you're working with incompressible data, i.e. video files or already compressed files, the performance will drop, drastically, as the SandForce chip can't compress the data. In other words, if you're using something like BlackMagicDesign's Disk Speed Test, you'll get pretty poor results. However, these SSDs are fast when it comes to compressible data, so if you've used something like CrystalDiskMark in Windows, you'll see very high performance numbers that should be close to that of the manufacturers claimed read and write speeds, as this data is compressible. One other issue with SandForce based SSDs is that the performance tends to degrade over time, by as much as 15-20 percent. The only way to restore a SandForce drive back to its original performance is to format it and start over. TRIM does help, but if you're hammering your SSD regularly, you will see a performance drop as even TRIM doesn't bring these drives back to their original, new state performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back