Contribute
Register

Sata III 6G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Implied said:
My slow SATAIII speeds is because I've not installed the JMicronSATA drivers (MacMan). Totally forgot they enable 6G. Can't install and test as I'm downloading. Patience...
So the JMicron SATA Drivers in Multibeast enable SATA III on OS X? Just need to install them and SATA III on OS X is set or?

One issue MacBook Pro 2011 Users are facing with SATA III is their Cable. Apparently the Cable itself isn't SATA III or something. Maybe the Cable some people are using isn't a SATA III Cable?

Also, not sure if that's only for RAID 0, but TRIM doesn't work if you RAID SSDs together.

All SATA cables are the same from SATA1 to SATA3

Implied said:
My slow SATAIII speeds is because I've not installed the JMicronSATA drivers (MacMan). Totally forgot they enable 6G. Can't install and test as I'm downloading. Patience...
So the JMicron SATA Drivers in Multibeast enable SATA III on OS X? Just need to install them and SATA III on OS X is set or?

One issue MacBook Pro 2011 Users are facing with SATA III is their Cable. Apparently the Cable itself isn't SATA III or something. Maybe the Cable some people are using isn't a SATA III Cable?

Also, not sure if that's only for RAID 0, but TRIM doesn't work if you RAID SSDs together.

Not sure, now I'm wondering if my 400MB/s sequential reads in Windows were false reports. You shouldn't need the JMicron kext to enable SATA III.

Yeah I'd read that also, the MBP cable is causing performance degradation.

As Gordo74 already stated, there is no difference between SATA cables. The only difference I have got is the label that is stamped on them, which is handy when you hide them away and in my case have to plug in the drives from behind the motherboard. However it doesn't change a single bit the performance, so how it is supposed to do that on Macbooks I have no idea.

From what I understand Apple uses their own SATA Cables, probably the machine at the factory making them is faulty or something.

Btw, do you have the SSD Firmware installed in Windows? Maybe that makes a difference.

Well yes ofcourse, I mean I opened up my real macbook pro the other weak to change the hdd and they use internal flat cables and connector specifically fit for the machine and case. The point was they can't use SATA-II cables vs SATA-III as there just isn't such a thing.

I still don't get my ports properly recognised, don't know what that kext is doing to it as it is now saying that I have 6Gb/s ports where I have none.

Anyway my benchmarks seem to be improved as well.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-04-15 at 23.39.07.png
    Screen shot 2011-04-15 at 23.39.07.png
    105.9 KB · Views: 179
  • Slightly Faster.jpg
    Slightly Faster.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 255
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back