Contribute
Register

SATA 6Gb/s / SATA III - PCIe Card - Works in LION !

Status
Not open for further replies.
thelostswede said:
149113 said:
Here is my Blackmagic score...

Seems way slow for a drive rated as high as this one. Has to be the controller.

Ugh... Blackmagic has changed their benchmark, so if you have an SSD with a SandForce controller, then it WILL PERFORM SLOWER than the rated speeds due to the fact that they're using INCOMPRESSIBLE data. SandForce controllers reach those kind of speeds with help of data compression, so if you use a test like the Blackmagic one or AS SSD which tests using incompressible data, then the scores will be MUCH slower than the claimed speeds for the drives. Try a different benchmark like CrystalDiskMark and you'll see a massive performance increase.

On top of that, any third party controller will NOT perform as well as the Intel controllers, although this might not apply to the latest generation of controllers from Marvell IF connected to two PCI Express lanes, but this would either require that the board maker has done this or that the controller is fitted to a x4 PCI Express card.

Please do your research before you start blaming your components, as the past two posts are clearly a case of users not knowing what they're doing.

Hello, I just want to say that I am using another benchmark application, it's call the "AJA System Test" and it work on mac and windows...
I am using it for some time and it look pretty accurate...
here are the link for of their site and downloads:

Mac: http://www.aja.com/ajashare/AJASystemTest.zip
Windows: http://www.aja.com/ajashare/systemtest.zip

Why do people persist in deluding themselves in spite of being presented with clear reasons as to why their Sandforce drives are SLOW when dealing with incompressible data?

Using another benchmark that tests in a completely different fashion will not change that fact.

Question. What does your new card bench compared to the old one? What kind of drive do you have and what was the old and new card?

notshy said:
X58A-UD3R board in OSX Loin !!!!

I'm running a OCZ Vertex3 which should run at up to 500 MB/s. On the Intel SATA II ports on the X58 chipset I was getting around 250 MB/s and now on the PCIe card I'm getting 410 MB/s.

I have the same drive (OCZ Vertex3) and a similar board (X58A-UD7 rev 2). With the onboard Marvell Controller and version 2.1 of Blackmagic Disk Speed Test, I'm getting 150 MB/s Write and 350 MB/s Read.

I read through most of the thread, but there's so many different boards discussed.

Can anyone tell me how much I can benefit from this PCIe card, in terms of read and write speeds? Potentially, the same gains as notshy?

The specific card should be irrelevant, the important thing is the ASM1061 controller.
As for performance gains, they're not going to be huge compared to what you're getting now, but you might see a bit of an improvement. Keep in mind that your SSD's controller uses compression, so the write performance won't jump dramatically using that test.

Inrvuuvamp said:
I have the same drive (OCZ Vertex3) and a similar board (X58A-UD7 rev 2). With the onboard Marvell Controller and version 2.1 of Blackmagic Disk Speed Test, I'm getting 150 MB/s Write and 350 MB/s Read.
OK, Installed on my PCIe x16 slot. (GFX on the other x16 slot) I can also confirm it works fine in Lion 10.7.4. The name of the controller is even there in System Report. It also said it was PCIe Gen 2 in the POST and System Report says it's negotiated at 6Gb. Awesome find! Thank you guys!

Some side notes:
I'm getting the same numbers on Blackmagic Disk Speed Test 2.1 as my Marvell controller (150W/350R). I tried AJA System Test too but the R/W test doesn't work on my SSD for some reason (testing the HDD works just fine, idk). I get 267 MB/s write speed in Novabench. Any other tests I can try to verify the SATAIII connection speed?

Also, I read a post elsewhere that said if you have two disks on the PCIe card, it will slow down the speed. Didn't seem to make a difference for me, but if anyone's seen any truth to that, let me know.

Hey guys, I've been reading through this post and others all day about getting some mac pros up to 6gb sata 3 connects that are bootable. I noticed everyone is saying to purchase the ASM1061 chipset cards those work fine etc and to config the bios, which it seems like a lot of guys are maybe running hackintoshes etc, not sure exactly. Basically my question is this, can I get this card SY-PEX40039 http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=1104 and install it into a/my Mac Pro and connect an SSD and boot from it? Anything special needed? I'm already running SSD's in some other mac pros here but I want to start upgrading to 6gb satas to take advantage of the speed more and stop limiting the SSD's capabilites. Thank you

XL4 said:
Hey guys, I've been reading through this post and others all day about getting some mac pros up to 6gb sata 3 connects that are bootable. I noticed everyone is saying to purchase the ASM1061 chipset cards those work fine etc and to config the bios, which it seems like a lot of guys are maybe running hackintoshes etc, not sure exactly. Basically my question is this, can I get this card SY-PEX40039 http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=1104 and install it into a/my Mac Pro and connect an SSD and boot from it? Anything special needed? I'm already running SSD's in some other mac pros here but I want to start upgrading to 6gb satas to take advantage of the speed more and stop limiting the SSD's capabilites. Thank you

Technically, yes, but it's not guaranteed to work, but I'd say you have a very good chance of getting it working. Just be aware that the ASMedia based cards won't give you full SSD performance, as you can see from the benchmarks here, but it's still better than SATA 3Gbps.

Inrvuuvamp said:
Inrvuuvamp said:
OK, Installed on my PCIe x16 slot. (GFX on the other x16 slot) I can also confirm it works fine in Lion 10.7.4. The name of the controller is even there in System Report. It also said it was PCIe Gen 2 in the POST and System Report says it's negotiated at 6Gb. Awesome find! Thank you guys!

Some side notes:
I'm getting the same numbers on Blackmagic Disk Speed Test 2.1 as my Marvell controller (150W/350R). I tried AJA System Test too but the R/W test doesn't work on my SSD for some reason (testing the HDD works just fine, idk). I get 267 MB/s write speed in Novabench. Any other tests I can try to verify the SATAIII connection speed?

Also, I read a post elsewhere that said if you have two disks on the PCIe card, it will slow down the speed. Didn't seem to make a difference for me, but if anyone's seen any truth to that, let me know.

for run the AJA test you need to set the permissions for "everyone" of your SSD to "read and write"... it work for me...after the test don't forget to put it back to normal... :p

thelostswede said:
XL4 said:

Technically, yes, but it's not guaranteed to work, but I'd say you have a very good chance of getting it working. Just be aware that the ASMedia based cards won't give you full SSD performance, as you can see from the benchmarks here, but it's still better than SATA 3Gbps.

Thanks for the response. So yeah based off of the benchmarks, and being I'm looking at doing this on multiple machines in a business, would you recommend getting a highpoint card instead? Also, does anyone know the most inexpensive solution for a bootable S3 card in an OEM Mac Pro? May just be stuck with 3GB unfortunately. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back