Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Sapphire RX580 not working on 10.13.6 - stumped on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asrock Z270M Extreme 4
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all, first post from a long time burrowed lurker here. Built several hackintoshes over the years and always been able to get around a problem without posting. I've scoured the forum for a solution to an issue I am having - recently the prices for used RX580 cards have gone down so I decided to finally jump ship from my old GTX960, hoping that it would be more straightforward than the nightmares I had with that card around the high sierra upgrade.

Long story short, I'm not having any luck out of the box like I was hoping with my 10.13.6 install that was working fine with my old 960. I either get a black screen on boot, or I get this checkered glitched out pattern and an unresponsive machine (with a moving cursor) on boot or soon after (usually when firefox opens). I've tried every combination I can think of or find - I've tried current versions of lelu and whatevergreen, RadeonDeinit and inject ati, all of them together, neither of them, various combinations. I've tried changing the ig-platform-ID to various values in the RX 580 thread, and the various (14.2, 18.1, 18.3) system definitions mentioned in various threads, as well as to the orinoco frame buffer. I've tried most of the above with and without the IGPU enabled, and also various fixes I could find concerning the IGPU. All the while I have tried my old clover booth USB, and creating a different fresh one using multibeast. I just can't seem to isolate the issue. One thing I am not able to try is using other ports as at the moment I only have access to a HDMI display (but most people list the HDMI ports as the ones that seem to work). I could get a DVI one going to my projector. I also only have the 8pin VGA power to the card, but I've read several places that's fine with this card. I am hoping to not have to upgrade to mojave on my main drive and have to restore it if that doesent work, as my old card has no mojave drivers yet.

I don't know if it's something to do with my board - an ASRock Z270M Extreme 4, or if my particular card (Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ 8GB from eBay) is dead or something. I'd appreciate any help and hope there is something simple I am missing here that you guys will spot. I really need to get this machine working for work, but I also need to get rid of the old card quickly on ebay before a promotion expires - a dilemma! I've attached a photo of the glitch and my old working EFI folder from before the upgrade.

Attachments

• working pre gpu install.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 41
Hello all, first post from a long time burrowed lurker here. Built several hackintoshes over the years and always been able to get around a problem without posting. I've scoured the forum for a solution to an issue I am having - recently the prices for used RX580 cards have gone down so I decided to finally jump ship from my old GTX960, hoping that it would be more straightforward than the nightmares I had with that card around the high sierra upgrade.

Long story short, I'm not having any luck out of the box like I was hoping with my 10.13.6 install that was working fine with my old 960. I either get a black screen on boot, or I get this checkered glitched out pattern and an unresponsive machine (with a moving cursor) on boot or soon after (usually when firefox opens). I've tried every combination I can think of or find - I've tried current versions of lelu and whatevergreen, RadeonDeinit and inject ati, all of them together, neither of them, various combinations. I've tried changing the ig-platform-ID to various values in the RX 580 thread, and the various (14.2, 18.1, 18.3) system definitions mentioned in various threads, as well as to the orinoco frame buffer. I've tried most of the above with and without the IGPU enabled, and also various fixes I could find concerning the IGPU. All the while I have tried my old clover booth USB, and creating a different fresh one using multibeast. I just can't seem to isolate the issue. One thing I am not able to try is using other ports as at the moment I only have access to a HDMI display (but most people list the HDMI ports as the ones that seem to work). I could get a DVI one going to my projector. I also only have the 8pin VGA power to the card, but I've read several places that's fine with this card. I am hoping to not have to upgrade to mojave on my main drive and have to restore it if that doesent work, as my old card has no mojave drivers yet.

I don't know if it's something to do with my board - an ASRock Z270M Extreme 4, or if my particular card (Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ 8GB from eBay) is dead or something. I'd appreciate any help and hope there is something simple I am missing here that you guys will spot. I really need to get this machine working for work, but I also need to get rid of the old card quickly on ebay before a promotion expires - a dilemma! I've attached a photo of the glitch and my old working EFI folder from before the upgrade.

View attachment 392287
you still have:

Code:
<key>NvidiaWeb</key>
        <true/>

in your config.plist

also you have:

Code:
<key>Intel</key>
            <true/>

you still have:

Code:
<key>NvidiaWeb</key>
        <true/>

in your config.plist

also you have:

Code:
<key>Intel</key>
            <true/>

Yeah I've tried dozens and dozens of different config files with those off and with/without the lelu/whatevergreen kexts - this is what was working before with the nvidia card (still not sure why I had intel = true but hell, the machine worked fine with it). Perhaps my issue is still having the nvidia web driver installed even if it's not turned on in clover? Like I say (even though I have a backup) I don't really want to mess with my install until I can get the rx 580 working unless it's definitely the issue. That way I can just throw my old EFI and card back in and it runs.

Solved this one, turns out it was the card all along. Previous owner had a mining BIOS on it - flipped the BIOS switch on the card and now it runs great first try with nothing injected. Insert facepalm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back