Graphics
Radeon HD 6950 2gb
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have installed ML without the card installed (using the HD3000 on my i7 2600K) on my GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3.

After running Multibeast I shut down and installed the card. In my bios the onboard video is set to primary ... and during boot I get a KP. If I change the primary card to the pci-e x16 I just get a white screen with a cursor.

If I take out the card all is well. I have read several different posts about these new cards and it should work with a "helper" card but to no avail.

Has anyone out there had any luck with this card in ML?

Thanks for your time and attention.

That isn't a good sign. Sounds like no one has this card working.

That isn't a good sign. Sounds like no one has this card working.

Hi Erasic, don't be too quick. A lot of us have this card working. Me too. I admit... it isn't easy and it lacks functionality, but most stuff work!

Just check my posts (click on my username etc.) on the Radeon working.

You not only need a helper card during boot (the screen stays black until after ML kicks in the 6950) but also a patched AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext you can find on the net from Netkas.

Basicaly:

1. Remove your 6950 from the system and set Primary display in BIOS to IGP (the HD3000)
2. Install and boot ML. Make your system work, sound, network etc.
3. Backup everything;
4. Backup the original AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext in SLE
5. Install the patched AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext (using KextBeast, repair permission etc., I use System Utilities in Multibeast...)
6. Edit your org.chamelon.boot.plist to reflect using the Radeon, that is: GE=Yes (essential!!!!), AtiConfig=Gibba and AtiPorts=5, maybe PCIRootUID=1
7. Shutdown your system
8. Install the Radeon HD 6950, connect you monitor to the Radeon
7. Restart your system,... watch a black screen for a minute or two.. an you should have the ML desktop...

If I follow those steps I would be able to use it but I wouldn't be able to play Diablo 3 or anything like that it right?

If I follow those steps I would be able to use it but I wouldn't be able to play Diablo 3 or anything like that it right?

Correct,

You can use it for 'normal' desktop work, even Adobe Photoshop, Premiere etc. iTunes works, the App store, Youtube videos etc. OpenCl doesn't work, Luxmark benchmark software crashes hard, Unigine gives a green blur and games like Civ 5 don't work. Almost everything that needs acceleration doesn't work. But for day to day work and some occasional gaming on a dual boot machine, it's great. I'm using it on a 27" monitor @2.560*1.440 resolution over DVI-D. If you want to game in OS X: get another card.

I bought the 6950 for gaming in Windows, but now that I spend more time on my Hackintosh i'm gonna sell it. I already have a GTX 670 which i'm gonna install tomorrow. The 6950/6970 probably won't have full functionality in ML ever. I don't think the community is going to spend more time and resources on getting these cards to work in ML. Definitely not with all these new more compatible cards from Nvidia coming out: GT 640, 660 Ti etc. I consider the 6950/6970 a dead end. Didn't know it when I bought it..., wasn't into Hackintoshing those days, too bad.

Good luck with yours and let me know if you got it to work!

I read a post on the netkas forum that this card would have native support in ML. So that is the only reason I bought it.

I guess I may have to just put it on ebay and see what I can get that will have full support so I can game.

Thanks for all your input. I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back